Fedak Never Slacks

Through ardent involvement and volunteerism, Sarah Fedak stays ahead of the pack

Features > Fedak Never Slacks
Fedak Never Slacks

Apparent through her constant, committed involvement in multiple organizations, Sarah Fedak is a paragon of how involvement is key to a thriving academic career. 

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Involvement on campus is an instrumental factor that can positively influence a student's time here at Kean. Apparent through her constant, committed involvement in multiple organizations, Sarah Fedak is a paragon of how involvement is key to a thriving academic career.

Fedak, a sophomore political science major, has packed her days with countless activities. Apart from her classes, she makes certain that she engages with other students and organizations. Fedak serves as the secretary of Cru and the director of public relations of Rotaract. Her roles in these two organizations have shaped her into a better version of herself.

"I have grown in my leadership skills, public speaking and volunteerism as a student leader," Fedak said.

Fedak continued, "Rotaract has especially impacted my life because I was involved in the high school version called Interact as both a member and leader. Rotary, the parent organization of Interact and Rotaract, has granted me countless opportunities to help those in need and has given me so many wonderful memories. I feel so grateful that I have been able to touch the lives of so many people at such a young age."

Concerning Cru, Fedak is considerably grateful for the opportunity to serve in that organization. 

"Cru has impacted me greatly because it has allowed me to share my Christian faith with other college students," Fedak said.

Kean Cru is one of 23 chapters of the Jersey Metro campus ministry in the United States known as Cru. According to Fedak, it is "a caring community passionate about connecting people to Jesus Christ," yet she emphasized that Cru welcomes all students. 

"You do not have to be any certain denomination of Christianity, nor do you have to be a Christian to attend our meetings. We welcome anyone who wants to learn more about the Bible and Christianity," Fedak said. 

Sarah Fedak

Despite juggling her involvement in Cru and Rotaract with her classes, Fedak is also a silver leader in the Leadership Institute, a senate representative for the sophomore class in Student Government, and a member of Cougar Volunteers, Criminal Justice Club, Catholic Newman Club, and Earth Science Club. 

Through these various clubs and more, Fedak remains an active force in service events. Whether it is creating cards for the Children’s Hospital with Catholic Newman Club or packing food items at the Community FoodBank of New Jersey, Fedak is always willing to lend a helping hand. She abides by Rotary's motto, "Service Above Self", which is evident in her avid volunteerism.

"I always love to help others," Fedak said. "I am a very empathetic and compassionate human being. I always want to make sure that everyone is cared for and protected."

Apart from her massive involvement on campus and in the community, Fedak takes school considerably seriously. She developed a 4.0 GPA and made the Dean's List twice in her freshman year. 

"I have learned so much in the past year and two months that I have attended Kean University. I have enjoyed all of my classes and professors, even my statistics and math class, which if you would have asked me if I liked a math class in high school, it would have been the exact opposite," Fedak said.

Fedak strives to maintain academic excellence throughout her time at Kean and beyond. She aspires to attend law school at Columbia University or New York University. With her diligence and dedication, she plans to carry her success into her career as well. 

"My career goal is to become a humanitarian lawyer, to run and hold political office as a senator or governor, and then to hopefully become the first female president of the United States!" Fedak said.  

With her future in sight, Fedak is confident that Kean University is equipping her with the knowledge and skills necessary to reach her goals.  

"I believe that my academic career at Kean University has prepared me for the future and for my career because I have so many leadership and educational opportunities that allow me to learn skills that I will utilize constantly in my life and career," Fedak said.

Sarah Fedak

Fedak is confident that students can have a splendid and successful time at Kean if they remember that involvement and learning is key.

"My biggest piece of advice to underclassmen is to get involved and to work hard in your classes. Being involved on campus makes your experience at college so much more memorable and fun! There are over 140 organizations on campus that you can be a part of and there are always different service opportunities that you can volunteer for," Fedak said.

"As great as it is to be involved, you want to make sure that you are prioritizing your classes first. After all, that is the whole reason that you are in college," Fedak said. "You want to do well in school, get your degree, and enter your career field. Make sure to read all of the readings assigned, do your homework, write your papers, and study, study, study. All of your hard work and effort will pay off."

Kareemah Davis, professional services specialist at the Office of Residential Services, can attest to Fedak's top-notch character. 

"Ms. Fedak has shown complete dedication in her work. Sarah has provided a calm demeanor with helping residents, parents, and prospective students feel at ease while addressing any concerns in the office," Davis said. 

"Overall, Sarah's leadership abilities are continuously developing and I’m truly excited that Residential Student Services was able to contribute to this growth," Davis said.

All in all, Fedak is a prime paragon for all students at Kean. She never slacks and always gives every venture her best effort. Even after her time at Kean, Fedak will continue to be a thriving force into the future.  

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.