Higher Serving In Higher Learning

Graduate Assistantships available for Nathan Weiss Graduate College

Higher Serving In Higher Learning
Benito Nieves

Undergraduate students who are considering the Nathan Weiss Graduate College as an option for continuing their higher education should consider expanding and developing their organizational, communicative, technological, and leadership skills before applying. In doing so, they would be better suited in applying for the favorable, yet highly competitive position of a graduate assistant (GA). The Nathan Weiss Graduate College offers a limited number of spots to applicants; those whom demonstrate they have much to offer these professional and service positions are awarded them. The GA position requires students work 15 to 20 hours a week, according to the respective position. In addition to the position completely waiving the cost of tuition for graduate enrollment, a small compensation is offered based on hourly rate.

Applicants can only acquire the position after having been accepted to the Nathan Weiss Graduate College beforehand; but it is strongly encouraged to apply for both concurrently. Students must be enrolled as a full-time student, 9 credits, in order to be able to hold the position. Applying for the position does not guarantee a spot.

Many departments and offices throughout campus seek to have graduate assistants work with them; so an integral part of the application process is the interview portion conducted by each respective, hiring department. What one location may seek in a graduate assistant might differ from another; thus, the better-rounded an applicant is increases their chances of being hired.

The following are six graduate assistant student features:

Neil Dave:

Coming back for his second graduate degree, Neil Dave, an occupational therapy major, said the graduate assistant position "enhances your skill set; it serves as a buffer." After obtaining his undergraduate degree in chemistry from Rutgers University, Dave attended the Nathan Weiss Graduate College for graphic communication technology management. The skills acquired through those studies, Dave said, helped him to stand out as an apt candidate graduate assistantship.

Dave works for the center for professional development located in the Nancy Thompson Library. This center encourages the use of technology in the classroom. Dave, having years of experience with web development, software applications, and new media forms, was a fitting student for this particular work space. After giving much praise to Everett for the support and attention he gives to working with all the graduate assistants, Dave expressed his gratitude for the opportunity to with work with an "extremely knowledgeable" staff.

Having "always liked healthcare", Dave now focuses on his new path to potentially working in a rehabilitation setting, preferably with a geriatric population. Dave expressed his enthusiasm with this new degree endeavor, stating with a smile, "You get to experience everything."

Jemimah Mwangi:

With an ambition to prove women can succeed and use education to lead their life's path, Jemimah Mwangi, a master of public administration health services option major, wishes to take what she learns from her studies back to her home country of Kenya to work in a hospital. "Women in my country are not encouraged to continue school," said Mwangi. "I came here to get an education; to prove it can be done, and tell others 'you can do it!'" Without the graduate assistant position, Mwangi said this educational feat would not be a possible one.

Mwangi works as a GA for the social work department, a places she said "you long to go to work when you wake up." The placement was a great transition, Mwangi added, since a role she held in Kenya was council representative for the student group, Quality - a "life action" team dealing with community counsel and outreach. "The social work department was a good adaptation for me. It is one of the best places I have ever worked and the staff is great!" continued Mwangi.

Having not received her graduate assistant position upon initial application, Mwangi kept her involvement with the university strong. She currently serves as the director of public relations for the graduate and part-time student council.

Candice Owens:

Candice Owens, a school psychology major, applied her networking strengths to the competitive graduate assistantship process. Owens, having en demonstrated strong work ability during her undergraduate years, was requested by the department she now works for: the office of undergraduate admissions. For students interested in applying for a graduate assistantship, the ability to work with offices and departments on campus is a strategic one; this allows pre-exposure to the work environment and helps to develop rapport among the staff.

Prior, Owens worked as an instructional mentor, a position which allowed experience with recruitment programs such as KEANnow - a program that offers college-bound students to take Kean courses for college credit at a discounted price. Now, her work is less of an adaptation, tells Owen; rather, it is a transformation. As an academic specialist, Owens works with all of the offices programs, such as "Student for a Day" and the open house events.

"The organizational skills you acquire really carry over into my own graduate course work," explained Owens. In addition to the inter-relationship benefits of the GA position and academic studies, Owens urged prospective applicants to "take advantage of the resources [around them]. Those involved with the graduate assistant program want to help you as much as you want to be helped."

Jessica Perez:

When discussing the application process for the graduate assistantship, Jessica Perez detailed her proactive drive behind making her presence one to remember. Perez, a communication studies major with a concentration in organizational communication, expressed her view on the limitations of the application form.

"The application [form] is kind of general. The person reading your application might not get a feel for who you are." Perez continued, "You should include a detailed resume of all your experience. Also, make sure to follow up, show your face, and let them know you really want it."

Perez works as a GA for the center for international studies. There, Perez assists with managing the study abroad program and other services. With aspirations of becoming a student development consultant, Perez said she is grateful for the opportunity to work with students almost on a daily basis; for it gives her experience in managing 'real life' concerns and challenges.

As an undergraduate, Perez strengthened her networking skills and leadership by staying involved on campus. As a writer for The Cougar's Byte, Perez interacted with students during events and feature opportunities; as a senior class representative for student organization, she held a voting position on a council which represents the student voice.

Amy Vitale:

For Amy Vitale, the opportunity to work as a graduate assistant helped expose her to aspects of the main campus that she says she "may have not seen otherwise." Vitale, a speech-language pathology major, earned her undergraduate degree from Stockton College. Vitale, who enrolled with Kean University for her master's degree after hearing about its new speech clinic, said most of her course work takes place on the East Campus.

"Up until working in this [graduate assistant] position, I have never dealt with my peers on this level; it builds up your skills, especially organizational," said Vitale. "Plus, if not for the position, I would have never had the chance to see what a beautiful campus this is!"

Vitale listed some of the components on her application that may have helped her to earn the graduate position: involvement in student clubs, sound academic record, developed editing skills, and proficiency in multiple software applications. Despite this, Vitale noted that the decision still "blindsided" her since the application process can be a competitive one.

Vitale works with the office of institutional advancement, located in Townsend Hall. "I couldn't be more grateful for the placement," commented Vitale. "I have unbelievable support from my supervisors, and they are very accommodating in regards to working around your school schedule. I can't imagine graduate school without the assistantship."

Tyrone Webb:

"Working for the Division of Student Affairs is the best," boasts Tyrone Webb, M.B.A. major. Webb, who works as a graduate assistant for the University Center, views the position as steps towards professional development. According to Webb, the position is always changing, always in augmentation. "Kerrin Lyles is more and more pushing our team to take on the administrative role; he wants to develop us." Lyles is the Managing Assistant Director of the University Center.

Though in many regards the graduate assistant position may be viewed as an internship, Webb said he is currently applying for additional internships. "My goal is to build an empire, similar to that of Magic Johnson," Webb stated, eagerly. "The finish would be to establish a chain of hotels."

While the GA position is helping to build Webb's future, there are some benefits that affect his present. "What I am learning [through the graduate assistantship] is helping me in my classes; sometimes, it helps in ways that allows me to make the class better," said Webb. "I learning to identify and communicate to my professors when a book is outdated [in relation to what we are learning].