Get In Touch With The Earth

Earth Science Club brings students in touch with mother nature

Features > Get In Touch With The Earth
Get In Touch With The Earth

Earth Science Club Flyer | Flyer Credits: Earth Science Club

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

Earth Science Club (ESC) is a funded organization that is open to all majors. The club helps provide an understanding of earth science and its phenomena, not just to earth science majors. This organization is open to any students interested in learning about anything in the earth science field. 

Aside from their meetings, they also hold many events and trips throughout the school year to help all members learn more about the exciting field of earth science -- meteorology, geology, astronomy, etc.

Their meetings are bi-weekly and they meet at the Center of Academic Success (CAS) room 450 during college hour. Every meeting, they have pizza to serve to the students.

Previously, ESC held trips to the American Museum of Natural History and Watchung Reservation. Members also participated in volunteer trips to river clean-ups, dune-grass planting at the beach, etc. Each semester they have many events that students can get involved with, and all events are open to non-members of ESC as well.

Last semester, ESC held its annual end of the year picnic celebration at Echo Lake Park located in New Jersey, its annual spring seeds planting event at Kean University, a nature walk which took place at the Watchung Reservation and a crystal cave trip to Kutztown, Pennsylvania. 

Some of the events have pictures uploaded onto Cougar Link, which can show students what fun activities ESC can be part of. 

On campus, ESC puts a lot of its efforts with concern on how to recycle on campus. Sarah Mack, junior environmental biology major, is the President of the Earth Science Club.

"We were the ones at homecoming with big recycling stickers on our shirts raising awareness about what can and can not be recycled! Hopefully in the near future we will gain even more momentum on this issue," Mack says.

Their next event will be a trip to the New York Botanical Gardens located in Bronx, New York. Tickets are currently on sale for this event, and to purchase a ticket, students must complete a SAPA form and bring it to the box office located in Wilkins Theatre. Tickets are $10 and includes admission to the botanical gardens along with a lunch voucher to a local Italian restaurant. The SAPA form can be found on ESC's Cougar Link page under the "Documents" tab.

After that event, ESC will be hosting a winter preparedness education event on Monday, November 14, 2016, in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Atrium during college hour. During this educational hour, students can receive free things and learn how to prepare for winter by braving for the upcoming storms. This information should be important to any Kean University student who has not experienced New Jersey winter storms or anyone living by themselves during this upcoming season.

If any student has trouble understanding earth science, wants to be more involved with the environment, help raise awareness to the importance of the ecosystem or would like to just take trips around the east coast to feel grounded with the earth, he or she should not hesitate to reach out to the ESC executive board. The organization is kind and welcoming, as well as quick with replying to students' questions regarding to the club. 

More information about the club can be found on Cougar Link, as well as ESC's pages on Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram.

The social media accounts are listed below:

• Facebook: Kean University Earth Science Club
  • Snapchat: @KUESC
  • Instagram: @kuearthscienceclub

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.