Release The Inner Nerd

Fear no fandom

Features > Release The Inner Nerd
Release The Inner Nerd

Last Year's KUAS Cosplay Cafe | Photo Credit: Kean University Anime Society

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

The Kean University Anime Society (KUAS) is a funded student organization that provides knowledge of outside cultures by promoting cultural entertainment such as Japanese animated cartoons (anime), wearing clothes that relate to a specific novel, video game, anime or movie character (cosplay), Japanese pop music (J-pop) and Korean pop music (K-pop).

Despite the organization's name, the topics covered are not limited to just anime. Liz Miller, junior English writing major and theatre minor, is the President of KUAS.

If students need a place where they can discuss and obsess over their favorite characters, KUAS is the place for them.

"Our club is a place where you can get friendly with each other, and even hang out with each other outside of the club," said Miller. "Because of this club, I started hanging out with some of the members, and even the e-board outside of club meetings. Anime club really brings people together."

On Friday, October 28, 2016, KUAS will be hosting a cosplay cafe, where students are free to cosplay or dress up in their Halloween costume. Food and refreshments will be served during this event, and students can get together to enjoy some anime or just hang out.

Samuel Steingart, senior English writing major, is the Secretary for KUAS.

"The club gives [members] a better appreciation of Japanese culture and introduces [us] to new friends. Honestly, we hope everyone will one day get to know more and more about our club, and still enjoy and hang out with each other even after we graduate," said Steingart.

In addition to the cosplay cafe, KUAS will be taking part in a community service event on November 10, 2016. This community service event will be a video game tournament for charity. Last year KUAS raised money for Child's Play, a foundation that donates new or used games to children's hospitals. This year, funds raised will be given to the Kidney Urology Foundation.

For the upcoming spring semester, KUAS is planning to host Tower Con, an anime convention, on April 9, 2017. More information can be obtained by emailing the executive board members of KUAS. A list of executive board members can be found on the organization's Cougar Link page.

Jacquelynn Stoll, senior criminal justice and psychology double major, is the Treasurer of KUAS. Stoll is a Potterhead (a Harry Potter fan) and encourages others to join, regardless of what shows or music they take interest in.

"Our club is not just anime, there's a range from comics to furries--things that some people find weird," said Stoll.

KUAS will also be getting together to have a mini Halloween party and even a Kigurumi (onesie) party, where students can wear a costume and onesie to their general body meeting and just hang out, watch anime and relax.

KUAS is inclusive of all majors and a provides an outlet to speak openly about shows, fandom or interests that can be considered weird to others. The organization meets every Monday from 3:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Miron Student Center (MSC) room 315. 

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.