Light Up The Holiday Night

Feel the starry nights in the planetarium

Campus News > Light Up The Holiday Night
Light Up The Holiday Night

Season of Light Flyer | Flyer Credit: School of Environmental and Sustainability Sciences

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

The start of the cold winter season can be welcomed with a sky of lights. Anybody can come experience a warm and bright holiday special show in the Kean University Alumni Planetarium.

Every year, the Kean University Alumni Planetarium presents Season of Light, a free full-dome show that can be viewed throughout the months of November and December 2016. For more information, students can email Will Heyniger, Professor of Earth Science and Meteorology at Kean University, at wheynige@kean.edu.

"When the December holiday season rolls around each year, planetarians often present special programs that combine astronomy and holiday traditions. One of the most popular shows in the Loch Ness Productions repertory is Season of Light. It's an elegant and sophisticated program about the coldest and darkest of seasons — a time which holds some of the warmest and brightest celebrations of the year," -- excerpted from Loch Ness Productions website.

"Season of Light explores the reasons humans are so fascinated with lighting up our lives during the December holiday season. It's an exploration of the astronomical meanings behind seasonal traditions, including the Star over Bethlehem. The show recounts the historical, religious and cultural rituals practiced during the time of winter solstice – not only Christian and Jewish, but also Celtic, Nordic, Roman, Irish, Mexican and Hopi," said Heyniger.

The full-dome show can be watched at the planetarium located in the Science Building third floor (C-330). The show runs every Monday and Thursday during college hour, which is from 3:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m., on Mondays and Thursdays. The dates for the show are:

• Monday, November 14, 2016,
  • Thursday, November 17, 2016
  • Monday, November 21, 2016
  • Monday, November 28, 2016
  • Thursday, December 1, 2016
  • Monday, December 5, 2016
  • Thursday, December 8, 2016
  • Monday, December 12, 2016

Specific dates can also be found on the flyer, and a preview of the show can be found on YouTube.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.