Making History Repeat Itself

Marajiah Bacon scoring her 1,000th point again and again

Features > Making History Repeat Itself
Making History Repeat Itself

Bacon cannot and will not stop

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

For a student to make their greatest achievement during both high school and college, it is more than just luck. It takes a miracle and a lot of hard work. Marajiah Bacon, sophomore criminal justice major, netted her 1,000th point at Kean University during the week of Sunday, January 22, 2017.

When Bacon was six, she started playing basketball. Since then, she never touched any other sport. She plays point guard and shooting guard on the women's basketball team at Kean University. Her twin sister, Miesha, also plays basketball at Kean University.

"Playing along side of her inspires me to play and inspires me to go hard everyday," said Bacon. "My sister and I have been playing together since the age of six, so we basically inspire each other."

At Neptune High School, located at Neptune, New Jersey, Bacon netted her 1,000th career point when playing against Long Branch High School on Wednesday, January 21, 2015. Now at Kean University, she netted her 1,000th point when playing against The College of New Jersey (TCNJ). This made Bacon the fastest and youngest women's basketball player at Kean University to accomplish this goal.

"My best memory while playing basketball would be scoring my 1,000th point in both high school and college. I felt really good about it, because I never thought I could [do] that before -- especially so early," Bacon said.

In the year of 2016, Bacon received multiple awards and honors at Kean University. She received D3Hoops.com National Rookie of the Year, Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Honorable Mention All-American, First-Team All-Met, D3Hoops.com Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year, New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) Rookie of the Year, First-Team All-Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC), First-Team All-NJAC, D3Hoops.com Team of the Week (1/5) 12-Time NJAC Rookie of the Week and 10-Time ECAC Rookie of the Week.

"I just started to love the game the more I played," said Bacon. "My favorite thing about basketball is winning and I really hate losing."

In addition to her very good experience here, she looks forward to winning an NJAC Championship and getting on the Dean's List.

"I chose Kean [University] because the coaching staff were very kind and welcoming. My family couldn't have been more excited for me to play in college because now they can still come and see me play. My family was very excited for me when they heard I netted my [second] 1,000th point," said Bacon.

When it comes to basketball and being under pressure, Bacon reassures she can handle it very well.

"I've never felt like giving up on basketball. Basketball is what really makes me happy," Bacon said. "I would honestly advise people to play every game like it's your last. Never settle for less and just have fun while doing it."

After graduation, she plans on going to the police academy. In the future, she would like to play overseas or be a coach and teach people what she has learned while playing throughout her life.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.