Take Up An Academic Minor!

Become more versatile and add another discipline

Features > Take Up An Academic Minor!
Take Up An Academic Minor!

There are approximately 40 minors students can take

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

An academic minor on a resume shows prospective employers that the job candidate is capable of doing more than what is expected of them, that they have more than one discipline. 

A minor not only helps one stand out, but also proves to others that they are passionate about more than one thing in life and can thrive when out of their comfort zone.

At Kean University, there are seven colleges, but only five of them offer academic minors. Each college has its own school or section that provides academic minors related to the discipline.

Every year, some majors and minors are added and/or removed. In the 2016-2017 undergraduate catalog, there are a total of 40 minors. 

Academic minors are only available to undergraduate students.

The following list outlines minor programs currently offered at Kean University.

In the College of Business and Public Management, there are six minors:

• Accounting
  • Criminal Justice
  • Finance
  • Management
  • Marketing
  • Public Administration

In the College of Education, there are six minors:

• American Sign Language
  • Chinese Studies 
  • French Studies 
  • Health Education 
  • Recreation Administration
  • Spanish

In the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, there are fifteen minors:

• Africana Studies
  • Asian Studies 
  • Chinese Studies 
  • Communication
  • Economics 
  • English 
  • History 
  • Jewish Studies and World Affairs
  • Latin American Studies
  • Political Science 
  • Philosophy and Religion 
  • Psychology 
  • Social Media 
  • Sociology
  • Women’s Studies

In the College of Natural, Applied and Health Sciences, there are eight minors:

• Biology
  • Chemistry 
  • Computer Science 
  • Information Technology 
  • Mathematical Science 
  • Physics 
  • Statistics 
  • Sustainability

In the College of Visual and Performing Arts, there are five minors:

• Art History 
  • Fine Arts 
  • Music 
  • Theatre 
  • Dance

The course requirements for each minor program are included in the catalog section of the college or department offering the minor. The content of each minor is prescribed by an academic program and may or may not include electives.

To declare a program as a minor, a minimum of 18 semester credits must be taken. A minimum of six semester hours must be from 3000-4000 level courses. 

Only courses with a “C” (2.0) grade or better may be applied to the minor. No more than one-half of the credits for the minor/collateral may be transferred from another institution. 

Students seeking admission into minor programs should use the Major/Minor Status Change Form. In order to get the major/minor status change form, the student must go to the Office of Registrar and request the form. The completed form must then be signed by the executive director, chairperson or coordinator responsible for the minor program and then submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.