A Talented Choir Of Success

Kean Gospel Choir is a finalist in the McDonald's Gospel Fest yet another year

Campus News > A Talented Choir Of Success
A Talented Choir Of Success

All smiles headed towards the Gospel Fest

Most people look forward to the opportunity to explore the campus life and join various clubs. For those who have an interest in singing, the Kean University Gospel Choir is a group full of passion and success.

The Kean Gospel Choir (KGC) was selected as a finalist in the adult choir category for this year’s McDonald’s Gospel Fest. The choir will perform one selection in the competition category that includes several other choirs from both New York and New Jersey.

KGC President Danielle Thomas, a junior majoring in psychology and sociology, said, "I want the organization to provide a safe haven for Kean University and the community around it."

“The choir is extremely proud to have the opportunity to represent Kean University in a consecutive year on such a large stage. There are a lot of amazing things happening here, and we want to make the community aware of that,” Thomas said. "It is important to have fun, to be humble, and don't be arrogant."

And that philosophy helped them win the McDonald's Gospel Fest last year.

The competition, which attracts over 16,000 attendees annually, will take place on Saturday, May 13, 2017 and will be held at the Prudential Center in Newark. The competition features categories ranging from dance and comedy to solo and adult choir.

In addition to the competition, the event will feature renowned gospel musicians and singers Israel Houghton, Erica Campbell, Hezekiah Walker and many others.

The purpose of the student organization is to promote an environment where students can express their faith through gospel music. With that the organization has been able to influence others with its faith in order to become a finalist for the McDonald's Gospel Fest.

Its goal is to recruit people who have a passion for gospel music, or want to develop an interest despite their knowledge or abilities. With these abilities this organization is able to impact its audience.

Last year the KGC placed first in the competition. The choir has also been featured on Fox 5’s "Good Day Street Talk," which aired April 2016. 

The student organization is active on campus, performing at events such as the ceremony honoring the anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s visit to campus, Black Love hosted by Pan-African Student Union (PASU) and many others.

More recently, the choir partnered with Kean University’s Haitian Student Association (HSU) to present Kean Gospel Fest in December 2016. The event, a first of its kind at Kean University, drew a crowd of over 600 to Wilkins Theatre.

The organization encourages positive attitude among all members, respecting all gifts, and raise the consciousness of the Kean community toward a greater understanding and appreciation for gospel music.

If anyone is interested in joining this organization, Kean Gospel Choir meetings are on Mondays in the Miron Student Center Greek Lounge and Thursdays in Wilkins Theatre room 141, from days from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.