Seven former Cougar athletes will join 124 current members of the Kean University Benisch Athletic Hall of Fame. Kean University Director of Athletics Jack McKiernan announced the news on Friday, February 24, 2017.
The 2017 induction class includes:
- Melissa Beyruti - women's basketball
- Pascal Clergio - men's soccer
- Johanna Hedler - softball
- Ebony Jackson - women's basketball
- Melissa Nunez - field hockey and women's lacrosse
- Perry Schatzow - baseball
- Jay Sgaramella - football
Inductees Schatzow and Sgaramella are still actively involved in the Kean University community. Schatzow is the night/weekend supervisor and Sgaramella is the Recreation Department assistant director of recreation, intramural's, facilities and event management.
The inductees were chosen by the Kean Athletics Hall of Fame selection committee.
The Hall of Fame was created in 1981 to honor Kean University athletes who brought distinction to themselves and the university. There is a nomination form available for individuals to complete for deserving candidates. But to be eligible for induction, they must meet the following criteria:
1) Participant in intercollegiate athletics
2) Embodied highest ideals of amateur athletic competition
3) Distinguished themselves from their contemporaries through sustained performance of specific achievement over the course of their undergraduate athletic career
4) Made a lasting and significant contribution to Kean University's athletic program that sets them apart from their peers through the following channels: service, leadership or professional development
5) Graduated from Kean University a minimum of five years ago.
The induction will be held on Thursday, April 20, 2017 at the North Avenue Academic Building (NAAB).
"The event begins at 6 p.m. and it is open to the public with a limited amount of tickets available at $40," McKiernan said.
For further information about securing a ticket to the event, contact Jack McKiernan by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.