Selective Electives

Electives that stand out

Campus Life > Selective Electives
Selective Electives

There is always more out there, just look for it!

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

Kean University has so much to offer! From food to cultures, and even the academics. There are a selection of electives students can take next semester or consider taking sometime during their university chapter.

It is always nice to test out the waters and try new things, and Kean University is the place to start!

Plays: On Page and On Stage (ID*2701) - Love to read and watch live performances? Ever dreamt of being a director some day? Want to get some tips on acting? This class gives students the opportunity to examine and analyze theatrical scripts and compare them to performed productions. Students will be able to watch and see the hard work performers go through to achieve a great show. This class requires students to pay for show tickets.

Chinese Pop Culture and Film (AS*3416) - Ever watched a foreign film? It can be strange, but interesting, how different acting is across the world. This course will show students an overview of development of cinematic films from China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. This class will not only go towards anyone pursuing an Asian studies minor, but previous knowledge of Mandarin or Cantonese is not needed for this course. Subtitles, please!

Chinese (CHIN*1101) - With having a diverse campus, there comes a plethora of students from all over the world. Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world, and majority of the international students at Kean University speak Mandarin. With any level of Chinese, this course will go towards pursuing an Asian studies minor, as well as ticking off that free elective language choice!

"I find Chinese to be the most interesting. I learn more than just speaking and writing characters. I learn about the culture and customs too," Jaimangal said.

Shannia Jaimangal is a freshman athletic training major and is in her second semester taking basic Chinese.

When taking any language course, be mindful that these classes take place through a whole year. Part one and part two must be finished to have the overall language course be considered for completion.

Cancer Cell Signaling: Gene Expression Analysis of Tumor-associated Macrophages (STME 2903*01) - This course is more directed for students who are part of the Science, Technology and Mathematics (STEM) program, but is beneficial for students who are interested in cancer, chemistry, biomedicine, biotechnology, drug discovery, immunology, molecular biology and/or neurobiology.

"I took cancer cell research with Dr. Coniglio. Although it was a lot of work, it gave me hands-on experience working in a research lab that most students don't get to experience," said Ruby Asabor, sophomore STEM biomedicine major. "We are able to test different drugs with different cancer cell DNAs and master mixes in order to find the route and cure to different cancers." 

Not many students can say they experienced working with cancer cells. It is also nice to take part in developing or finding a cure to cancer.

Drawing (FA*1230) - Ever had an artistic mind but cannot express it in words? Drawing helps improve and enhance one's drawing or even develop their artistic senses. 

"Drawing is interesting because it teaches you fundamentals needed when you draw from observation as well as portraits. After hours of practice, you can see the improvement in your art when you compare your first and last drawing," said Linda Anele Davis, freshman studio art major. "I would definitely recommend the class if people have a liking to art and/or drawing."

Art takes some time, and anyone looking to grow with their art can definitely obtain that goal by taking this class.

Creative Writing (ENG*2010) - Have a lot to say or write about? Creative writing is open for all majors and does not limit a student's imagination. This course will help students channel their inner writer. Students will get to let loose and write what runs through their imagination for once. From fiction to non-fiction, from poetry to prose. Students will not only think outside the box, but they will find their inner obsessions through their writing and with what inspires them. 

Who said electives had to be boring? There are many fun options to choose from and can stimulate both sides of the brain. Students enjoy going out of their comfort zones and trying something new. Maybe these electives do not apply to a specific major, but it is always a bonus to have an experience in something that does not relate to a specific major.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.