Support Has Arrived

The Student Success and Retention Office is here to help

Features > Support Has Arrived
Support Has Arrived

The Student Success and Retention Office can be found on the first floor of the Center for Academic Success

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

Need help with succeeding in college? The Student Success and Retention Office (OSSR) is here to help the students.

The OSSR is dedicated to providing guidance and support to the Kean University student population as they embark on their journey towards degree completion.

"[OSSR] is committed to creating a sustainable culture of active engagement of students, especially those that have demonstrated academic need. [OSSR] will encourage an environment that is student-centered, one that facilitates and celebrates individual success," excerpted from the office's Cougar Link page.

Located in the Maxine and Jack Lane Center for Academic Success (CAS) on the first floor in room 122, the office opens everyday at 9 a.m. and closes around 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Wednesday. From Thursday to Friday, the office closes at 5 p.m.

Jean Brown, OSSR specialist and advisor, is open to help any student seeking advisement and help.

"The best time to come in is anytime. Students facing academic difficulty, seeking college direction within regards of their major or just need someone to talk to resolve a crisis they are facing usually come in," Brown said.

The office focuses on:

• Students who are not meeting academic standards
  • Students who are interested in re-enrolling to Kean University -– readmit or reinstated
  • Students who are at risk of failing courses and withdrawing from the university

"The office has experienced tremendous success in the programs that it has developed for specific populations, such as 'Step-It-Up' program for those students who are struggling academically," excerpted from the Kean University homepage.

OSSR is currently hosting a workshop every Monday through Thursday at 3:15 p.m. or 6:15 p.m. at CAS 210. Their workshops circle around overcoming anxiety, studying/note taking, managing stress, self-care and/or time management. Their events can be found on Cougar Link.

There is no set schedule for when specific workshops occur, but they will occur until the end of the semester. The OSSR is proactive in reaching out to students in an attempt to direct and assist them towards their goals.

Do not be afraid to ask for help for every student struggles once in a while.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.