To Be A Poet Or Not To Be A Poet?

Whether 'tis nobler for the hand to write than to not write at all?

Campus Life > To Be A Poet Or Not To Be A Poet?
To Be A Poet Or Not To Be A Poet?

Be a poet and show it!

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

Poetry is a form of expression, and some students have a lot to say in a few words.

The School of English Studies presents its second annual Poetry Contest. Any Kean University student has the chance to participate in this contest and enter their submission by Thursday, April 6, 2017. 

Confused on what to write about? The choices are endless!

"This is your chance to share your work and let the world hear your voice! We are open to any style or subject matter, as long as it is original and exciting!" excerpted from The Second Annual Poetry Contest flyer.

There are certain guidelines students must follow when writing their poems.

• Students must submit one to three poems, no longer than two pages each. 
  • What is being written, the way it is being written and the form in which it is written is up to the student.
  • Students are not allowed to include any identifying information on the pages of the poems themselves, for they will be judged blindly.
  • When submitting their poems, students must include a cover sheet that has their name, student ID number, contact email, phone and address, as well as the names or titles of the poems.

Entries must be submitted to Dr. Gupta-Casale's, Professor Lisa Sisler’s or Professor Tamara Hart’s mailbox in Maxine and Jack Lane Center for Academic Success (CAS) room 301. Submissions can also be e-mailed as one file to ncasale@kean.edu, lsisler@kean.edu or thart@kean.edu.

Need some inspiration? Any professor from School of English Studies is willing to help! Just channel the inner William Shakespeare or Emily Dickinson and let the flow go.

The winning poet will be awarded by having his or her poem published in the Kean Literary Journal, receive a cash award, a “Poetry Starter Kit” Basket and honored at the School of English Studies Award Ceremony on Thursday, April 27, 2017.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.