Billy Porter To Teach Master's Class At Kean University

Five students to work directly with award-winning Broadway actor and singer

Campus News > Billy Porter To Teach Master's Class At Kean University

Award-winning Broadway actor and singer will teach a master's class to performing arts students

Gaelle Gilles, Staff Writer

On Thursday, April 27, 2017, those majoring in performing arts will be able to get a chance of a lifetime -- to be taught by the award-winning singer and Broadway actor Billy Porter.

Just a few days after performing in Enlow Recital Hall on Saturday, April 22, 2017, Porter is coming back to teach a master's class on performing arts. 

Porter will give his knowledge on Broadway music and performance and musical style. He will be telling students his experience in the field of acting and singing.  

Not only will Porter talk to students about his experience in the field of performing arts, but five Kean University students will be able to work directly with Porter. Those students are Christiana Marie Alicante, Jose Arroyo, Jesse Dorfman, Brianna Javis and Cecelia Resto. This same group of students were also given the opportunity to share the stage with Broadway star Patti LuPone in September of 2016.

Kean University | The Cougar's Byte

Porter has appeared in the Broadway musical Kinky Boots as Lola, and has won several awards for his performance

Porter has won several awards, two of which a Tony and Grammy. He received a Tony Award for Best Lead Actor in a Musical for Kinky Boots, and won a Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album.

Aside from being known as Lola in Kinky Boots, Porter is also known to play in the Broadway musical Miss Saigon, and in the 1994 Broadway musical Grease. 

Porter will be performing around the country in the next couple of months. Many of those performances are held in New York and New Jersey. View where Porter will be performing on his website

Author: Gaelle Gilles

Gaelle Gilles is a senior majoring in English-writing. Gaelle has been a member of The Cougar's Byte, as a Staff Writer, since fall 2014. Her interests include reading, writing and playing piano. Her goals in life include owning her own magazine, but currently she is planning to go to graduate school. During her spare time, Gilles enjoys reading her favorite author, Sarah Dessen.