Technology At KU

What technology do Kean students use?

Campus Life > Technology At KU
Technology At KU

Technology is an important factor in a students academic life

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor

It is safe to say that technology is a huge part of a students' life. Whether it is a phone, iPad, desktop, laptop or Kindle, students can be seen holding a piece of technology with them.

Why is technology an important aspect in a students' education?

What technology do students use the most?

How does technology help the students in their personal life?

How does technology help students with their academics?

Most importantly, why do students like technology?

"I use my cell phone and computer the most. In my personal life I use it to communicate with people and for entertainment, but for academics I use it when I have to type [a] paper [or] do PowerPoint presentations and research for classes," said Carl-Henry Delatour, a junior studying computer science.

"In my personal life I use my computer for job applications and social media. When I'm at school I use it for research papers and homework. Technology helps me find useful information I may need," said Jenny E., who is studying to be a Spanish teacher. She uses her cell phone and laptop the most.

It seems like the phone and computer are the most popular pieces of technology at Kean University. 

"In my free time I go on social media, and for school I use [technology] to get work done. [Technology] makes it easier to find things," said Leyda Reyes, a sophomore studying education. 

Technology can also be a great outlet to stay in touch with family, friends and work. It is also easier to do homework or search for information on a phone because it is always within reach. 

"I love my laptop and iPhone. I can use it for homework or entertainment including YouTube or social media, where I can stay connected. I also use it for research and typing notes in class. It's just a fast and easier way to be productive and organized," said Rocio Merino, a junior studying sustainability science.

Technology is also a great way to find important information pertaining to news or weather. When interviewing the students, many of them explained that when they are unsure of the weather they check the weather apps instead of watching the news. 

Social media is an outlet where people can find facts on political, social and economical issues around the world. After all, technology keeps everyone intact with what is happening in society daily.

Technology can also be used for brainstorming, watching YouTube videos to gain ideas, correcting spelling errors or simply searching for the definition of a word.

For students who do not have laptops or access to technology at home or in the residential halls, one can find technological resources in the computer labs in the Miron Student Center (MSC) or the Nancy Thompson Library.

Throughout the day, the computer labs can be seen packed full of students studying, writing research papers or brainstorming ideas, as it is a good environment to be productive and organized.

Petruce Jean Charles - Web

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor
jeanchap@kean.edu

Petruce Jean-Charles is a senior majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. In Spring 2017 she joined The Cougar's Byte staff. She is goal-driven and dedicated to accomplishing her goals, where she wishes to work for successful companies like Huffington Post or The Washington Post. In her free time, she enjoys listening to different artists and watching new horror and thriller movies.