The Final Step To A New Semester

Finals are on their way!

Campus Life > The Final Step To A New Semester
The Final Step To A New Semester

Maxine and Jack Lance Center for Academic Success has many educational resources

Attention all students! The spring semester is coming to an end and with the end of spring semester comes finals.

Finals are important to validate whether a professor has left an impressionable mark on a student's education and whether a student has been able to grasp the concept of the subject.

Finals can be very stressful but students are encouraged to use the resources on campus. Kean University is known for its various opportunities and resources.

The Speech and Presentation Lab is a free service offered to all undergraduate and graduate students to help prepare, practice and perfect any presentation. All services are available to all majors and can be beneficial for professional speeches, interviews and presentations.

The lab is located in the Maxine and Jack Lane Center for Academic Success (CAS) with flexible hours to meet the needs of students’ schedules. For more information, call 908-737-5326, email speechlab@kean.edu or stop by CAS room 414.

The Writing Center is a place where students can receive help and feedback on their writing. Undergraduate and graduate students can make an appointment by logging on to TutorTrac, a service Kean provides for students who wish to make an appointment for a variety of assistance. Students can also call 908-737-0317 or stop by CAS 111E.

Appointments are an average of 50 minutes, with a limit of one session per day. Students are encouraged to bring their assignments, writing, research, notes and most importantly questions. The Writing Center is open Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The Tutoring Center is available to assist undergraduate students with many course levels. Tutoring is available by appointment. Students can make appointments by calling 908-737-0339 or visiting CAS 111.

Tutoring focuses on areas in which students often experience difficulty from freshman through senior levels. The center is open Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

These educational centers would like to inform students that they are welcome for extra help with papers, presentations or studying.

It is important for students to understand that they will not be rejected without an appointment. Appointments are used to provide order for both the student and instructor, but stopping in is accepted.

These centers specialize for the students' development and success!

But what other places do students like to go to study?

• Starbucks -- a student can grab a drink and a snack and still be productive by themselves or with others.
  • The computer lab in the Miron Student Center (MSC) and the computer lab in the library -- great locations for typing papers and researching sources.
  • The library -- quiet rooms are situated on the second and third floors that allow students to do their studying in a respectful environment.

A few students were asked about their studying methods and where they venture off to prepare for finals. Michela Toto, who is a junior studying therapeutic recreation, Dan Montealegne, who is a sophomore studying recreational administration, and Zachary Acosta, who is a freshman studying biotechnology offered some thoughts.

Toto: "I am a commuter so I usually like to study in the comfort of my home, but when I'm on campus I usually prefer a quiet environment like the library. A few tips that I have while studying is if you have some kind of review for a final in advance I would suggest to study for about an hour, a couple times a week. I usually study a couple hours per week."

Montealegne: "I also commute, so if I need to study, I study at home but I also like the library as well. For me when I study I can't have people around me, so I think it would be better to be in a secluded area while studying so you don't get distracted. Also make sure you leave all of your technology behind so that you can focus more on the work than your computer or phone."

Acosta: "For studying I recommend not worrying about your tests and spend at least 10 minutes on studying but no more then 25 minutes because then your mind wanders off. Also study before you go to sleep because you obtain [information] better. On campus I usually just go to the library or in my room [at] my desk; not my bed because then I become unproductive. I think it is important to take notes and study from them as well."