A Trip A Day, Helps A Kean Education Stay

Tips about commuting to Kean University

Essentials > A Trip A Day, Helps A Kean Education Stay

Commuters at Kean have many options to help them succeed 

There are many factors that contribute to the decision to commute rather than live on campus. Kean University is one of many universities that provides both residential services and commuter options because it is understandable that some students are not able to reside on Kean's Union campus.

What are the options for students who commute or are thinking about commuting in the future?

Since Kean is surrounded by many busy cities there are a lot of transportation options available for the students. 

One transportation option is the New Jersey Transit (NJT). NJT is a public transportation corporation that enforces safety, reliability and convenience with trained drivers. The NJT is also convenient for students because they have special deals for student bus passes. 

All students have to do is log onto Kean Wise, select the link to NJT discount programs, fill out a secure form with their student ID and pin number, submit it in and by the 10th of every month the passes will be issued.

Regular bus passes are $59 for one zone and $78 for two zone. Students would only have to pay $44.25 for one zone and $58.50 for two zone saving 25% off the regular price. The student discount applies to both the bus passes and train tickets.

Buses that stop by Kean university are the 52 and 26.

The 52 NJT bus routes are from Springfield, Union and Elizabeth and the ride usually takes up to 30-40 minutes with buses on schedule frequently. 

The 26 New Jersey Transit bus routes are from Irvington, Hillside, Union and Elizabeth. The 26 usually takes more time than the 52, but they both have schedules that work around students' needs. The earliest buses start at 6 a.m. and end at 7 p.m.

The second option is by train using the Union Train Station. The Union Station is located at 900 Green Lane in Union, NJ directly across from the main campus. The Union Station is on NJT's Raritan Valley line, which runs Northeast to Newark Penn Station and Southeast to High Bridge in Hunterdon County. Another train alternative is the Elizabeth Station located on West Grand Avenue, which is two miles away from campus by bus.

Students can also request to be dropped off or picked up at the train station through shuttle services. Kean's shuttle bus is a free service available for resident students only and a Kean University Cougar ID card is required in order to board the shuttle.

The shuttle bus runs:

• Monday through Friday: 7:15 a.m. to 10:45 p.m.
  • Saturday 7:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.

If students have any questions about commuting they can visit the Commuter Resource Center (CRC) which exists to enhance the commuter student’s quality of life. The CRC encourages students to become engaged and involved with the campus lifestyle through various programs to help them interact with their fellow peers.

CRC aims to make a commuter's life simple and less complicated by providing support and guidance. CRC is organized by the Office of Student Government, under the Division of Student Affairs. It is located in Hutchinson room 130 and has a microwave and mini fridge. 

The Hours of Operation are: 

• Monday through Thursday 12 a.m. to 8 p.m. 
  • Friday 11 a.m to 3 p.m. 
  • The lounges are also open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. 

If students have any more questions regarding when the lounge is open or services offered contact the CRC office at (908) 737- 4093.

When asked of their experience commuting Welena Noel a sophomore studying theatre, Kayla Asara a freshman studying interior design and Viktoria Rystsova a senior studying global business had an abundant of insight to share.

Noel: "I have been a commuter for a while because I live too close to campus to dorm. Commuting may be a hassle, but if you live close to campus it would be wiser and cost effective to commute. I know that there are buses and train stations that offer travels to Kean."

Asara: "Yes I am a commuter because I live 10 minutes away. I recommend commuting if you live close to the school."

Rystsova: "I commute because I live 20 minutes away and I have my car, but I know there are a few buses students can take. Commuting isn't bad at all if you live close I recommend it."