An Opportunity To Extend A Kean Education

Nathan Weiss Graduate College offers academic success

Essentials > An Opportunity To Extend A Kean Education

Nathan Weiss Graduate College teaches influential students 

Attention all graduating seniors and graduates!

Graduate school is literally around the corner!

The Nathan Weiss Graduate College supports the mission and goals of the University through graduate level education, research and continuing an education outside of an undergraduate degree.

Stepping into graduate school can be overwhelming and stressful but the Nathan Weiss Graduate College is here to help with graduate admissions counselors. The counselors provide information on the process of applying and required materials. Each student is assigned a counselor by their last name. 

Nathan Weiss Graduate College offers many admission events to welcome prospective students who are interested in the programs offered. 

Events offered are open houses, information days and tours, graduate round-tables and academic exploration sessions.

Graduate information days and tours is an event that provides students with the knowledge of the programs, admissions process and opportunities offered like scholarships and grants.

Graduate academic exploration sessions are offered to students to aide them in learning the curriculum, program expectations and graduate outcomes.

Aside from that, the Nathan Weiss Graduate College aids students financially as well. Options provided are loans, scholarships, work study and special programs.

Loans provided are unsubsidized direct loans, graduate plus loans and private loans. Scholarships provided are graduate foundation scholarships. Special programs provided are graduate assistantships.

The graduate assistantship program seeks to provide a select amount of students with waived tuition and fees. In order to be eligible for the assistantship, students must receive an acceptance to a graduate program offered at Kean and have a 3.25 GPA or higher. Assistantships begin in the fall semester and continue into the spring semester.  

Nathan Weiss Graduate College would like potential graduate students and current graduate students to know that student support services are offered. The office serves all Kean graduate students academic and non-academic issues. The services are offered for:

• Filing for graduation
  • Filing for certification
  • Requesting a special letter 
  • Confirmation letters

Also, any other advice or issues students have can be discussed with the office and team. Nathan Weiss Graduate College expresses their involvement with the students and their success. 

Dr. Jeffrey Beck the Dean of Nathan Weiss Graduate College gave a brief overview of the history of the college and how it has progressed overtime, "The Graduate College was founded in 1998 and named for President Nathan Weiss, who introduced a series of graduate programs to the university under his leadership. We want students to learn skills and knowledge that will enable them to be successful in their professional lives and our experience is that students are learning and succeeding in many fields on the basis of their graduate education at Kean University."

The school provides research opportunities for faculty and students and is committed to challenging students and preparing them for the education and professional development needed in each of their fields of study.

Dr.Beck also went in to detail of variety of programs offered, "We offer over 30 graduate degree programs at the master's level and doctoral level, in addition to certificate and post-baccalaureate programs. Our applicant numbers are up, and we are leading the way in Allied Health fields in New Jersey, with a dynamic set of programs including Occupational Therapy, Speech Language Pathology, Physical Therapy, as well as popular programs in behavioral health including Counseling and Psychology. We are starting our new Doctor of Speech Language Pathology this fall and our new doctoral programs in Counseling and Occupational Therapy will start soon."

The following are some of the numerous graduate programs Nathan Weiss Graduate College has to offer:

• Accounting
  • Bilingual Education Programs
  • Biology 
  • Communications
  • Computer Information Systems 
  • Counseling Programs
  • Criminal Justice
  • Early Childhood Education Programs
  • Health and Physical Education
  • History
  • Psychology Programs
  • Social Work Programs

When asked about the new additions to the college Dr. Beck expressed his excitement for the students. "We are one of few universities to offer students such rich experiential learning in clinical sites, as we have three campus clinics for Psychology, Occupational Therapy and Communication Disorders on East Campus alone," said Dr. Jeffrey Beck.

If students have any questions call 908-737-7100 or visit grad.kean.edu