Cougar Cash: A Look Into A New Currency

How can students use Cougar Cash?

Essentials > Cougar Cash: A Look Into A New Currency
Cougar Cash: A Look Into A New Currency

Cougar Cash, Cougar Dollars, Kean Bucks and Flex Dollars are great to us on all on and off campus eateries and stores.

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor

With all the new adjustments and arrivals to Kean University some students may wonder: What is Cougar Cash? Cougar Cash is a new currency and has made its way to the Union campus.

Cougar Cash can only be used on food on and off campus and is established as a currency for meal plans such as:

• Unlimited Meal Plan MK-100 which is $1,915 per semester
  • Block Meal Plan KB-96 which is $1,371 per semester
  • $1,500 Declining Balance Plan per semester

The unlimited meal plan comes with $100 in Cougar Cash and additional Cougar Cash can be purchased and utilized on all on and off campus. Block meal plans are also supplied with $100 in Cougar Cash. The $1,500 declining balance plan includes $500 in Cougar Cash. For students interested in getting Cougar Cash, choosing a meal plan will allow them to to obtain the new currency.

When issued in connection with the Unlimited Meal Plan (MK-100) or the Block Meal Plan (KB-96), Cougar Cash is non-refundable and will roll over from Fall to Spring semester but will expire at the end of the Spring semester.

When issued in connection with the Declining Balance Plan, unused Cougar Cash is refundable up to $500 at the end of the Spring semester.

Some of the eateries that accept Cougar Cash are:

• The Residence Dining Hall
  • The Miron Student Center Cafeteria
  • The Cougar's Den
  • Starbucks in the library and in CAS third floor
  • Smashburger
  • Auntie Anne's
  • Jersey Mike's Subs
  • Outtakes
  • Barnes and Noble Café
  • Au Bon Pain
  • Applebee's
  • Bonchon Chicken
  • Koki Buffet
  • Rock 'n' Joes
  • Tropicana Diner

Other than Cougar Cash, Cougar Dollars can only be used on campus and the eateries they can be used at are as followed:

• The Residence Dining Hall
  • The Miron Student Center Cafeteria
  • The Cougar's Den
  • Both Starbucks
  • Smashburger
  • Auntie Anne's
  • Jersey Mike's Subs
  • Outtakes

With the Unlimited Meal Plan $100 Cougar Dollars are given to the students. Cougar Dollars are non-refundable and will roll over from Fall to Spring semester but will expire at the end of the Spring semester. 

The next currency is Kean Bucks. Kean Bucks can be used to purchase food, attire, school supplies and any other on-campus items. Kean Bucks can be used at:

• The Residence Dining Hall
  • The Miron Student Center Cafeteria
  • The Cougar’s Den
  • Both Starbucks
  • Smashburger
  • Auntie Anne’s
  • Jersey Mike’s Subs
  • Outtakes
  • Barnes and Noble Café
  • Barnes and Noble Campus bookstore
  • Au Bon Pain
  • Northside Cafe

Kean Bucks are awarded as an incentive to students who take Friday or Saturday courses. And are awarded after the drop/add deadline is over in order to insure each student is consistent with their Friday and Saturday classes. 

The eligibility for Kean Bucks is $50 a credit for Friday courses starting at 3:30 p.m., $50 a credit for Saturday and Sunday courses starting before noon. For Saturday and Sunday courses after noon $100 is awarded.  Kean Bucks are non-refundable and will expire one year from the date of issue. 

Lastly, there are Flex Dollars and they can be used for the purchase of food, books or other items at any on-campus location.

• The Residence Dining Hall
  • The Miron Student Center Cafeteria
  • The Cougar’s Den
  • Starbucks (Center for Academic Success, thirdFloor, and University Library)
  • Smashburger
  • Auntie Anne’s
  • Jersey Mike’s Subs
  • Outtakes
  • Barnes and Noble Café
  • Barnes and Nobel Campus bookstore
  • Au Bon Pain
  • Northside Cafe
  • Applebee’s
  • Bonchon Chicken
  • Koki Buffet
  • Rock’ N Joe Coffee Bar
  • Tropicana Diner

There are many eateries and stores on and off campus that can benefit every student. So students, take advantage of all the currencies.

Petruce Jean Charles - Web

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor
jeanchap@kean.edu

Petruce Jean-Charles is a senior majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. In Spring 2017 she joined The Cougar's Byte staff. She is goal-driven and dedicated to accomplishing her goals, where she wishes to work for successful companies like Huffington Post or The Washington Post. In her free time, she enjoys listening to different artists and watching new horror and thriller movies.