Financial Services Helps Better Education

What are the services offered?

Essentials > Financial Services Helps Better Education

The Financial Aid Department offers a variety of support and help at Kean 

What is one thing that students look at when applying for colleges?

Is it the academics? The campus life? Is it job opportunities? Financial aid?

One thing students should consider in a college is if it provides financial services that can help the students' education grow. Kean University is known for its education, accessibility and last but not least, affordability.

Kean University offers many financial services to ensure each student who craves education will not be turned away because of their financial circumstances. 

The opportunities Kean offers are scholarships, grants, loans and federal work study.

All students are also strongly encouraged to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which will improve their ability to receive needed funding through grants and other types of financial aid. The FAFSA application can be completed electronically by visiting www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Every year, Kean University offers the Kean University Foundation Scholarship from December 1 to March 1. Their mission is to support prospective and current students with their academic excellence. There are a lot of scholarships offered to help qualified undergraduate and graduate students meet the financial requirements.

The Kean University Foundation sponsors hundreds of named scholarships for incoming freshmen, undergraduate and graduate students. 

There are many donors who provide the funds for students awarded and every year students are required to attend the Annual Scholarship Recognition Ceremony where students will get to meet and thank their donors.

Scholarships are categorized in the following order:

• Incoming Freshman Scholarships 
  • Scholarships for Humanities and Social Science Majors
  • Natural, Applied and Health Science/STEM/Allied Health Scholarships
  • Visual and Performing Arts Scholarships
  • Foundation Scholarships for Any Major
  • Business and Public Management Scholarships
  • College of Education Scholarships
  • Graduate Foundation Scholarships
  • Michael Graves College/Robert Busch School of Design Scholarships
  • Transfer Student Scholarships

There are also external scholarship websites for students to apply to:

Students will be notified of their scholarship awards June 15th and awards will be posted on KeanWise from July 15th to August 1.

Grants are the next option offered. Grants that are offered are:

The Federal Pell Grant is usually only awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. The current maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $5,815.

The Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (PSEOG) is a program for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions (EFCs) will be considered first for a FSEOG. Awards range from $200 to $1,000 annually.

The NJ Tuition Aid Grant awards at Kean University range from $1,794 to $6,224 and are awarded to students with the greatest financial need. The student must be a resident of New Jersey and enrolled full-time.

NJ Educational Opportunity Fund Grant awards up to $1,400 for on-campus resident students and $1,150 for commuters. Students must be residents of New Jersey with a scholastic background and financial need which might otherwise prevent them from attending college.

Loans are also offered. Loans that are offered are:

Federal Direct Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized). Eligibility for Stafford Loans is determined in part by completing the FAFSA application.  This loan program allows eligible students to borrow funds directly from the federal government with no credit check involved.  Students begin repaying loan funds either six months after graduating, dropping below half time status, or ceasing enrollment. 

• Freshman can receive up to $5,500 to $9,500
  • Sophomores can receive up to $6,500 to $10,500
  • Juniors and Seniors can receive up to $7,500 to $12,500

Graduate Direct Unsubsidized Loan - Graduate students matriculated in a program leading to a Master’s or Doctorate degree are eligible to borrow up to $20,500 annually in the Direct Unsubsidized Loan program based on their calculated cost of attendance minus any other financial aid.

Federal Perkins Loan - The Federal Perkins Loan is administered by the University. Depending on availability of funding, loan amounts range from $600 to $1,200 per academic year.

The final option offered is Federal Work Study (FWS). The FWS program provides part-time employment to students with financial need (as determined by the FAFSA).  

Students can find jobs as:

• General office work
  • Tutoring
  • Off-campus based community service positions
  • Event staff
  • Research assistants
  • Computer lab attendants

In addition to the list above, there are many others as well. In order to be eligible, students must have financial need, submit FAFSA and meet standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

For the application process, students must submit the FWS application to financial aid. If eligible, students will receive a notification from the FWS coordinator and the department hiring for an interview, if selected the student will be scheduled for another interview to fill out the necessary paperwork.

If any students have any questions they can contact the Financial Aid Office at 908-737-3190 or email at finaid@kean.edu.