Fun To Be Fit

Exploring the opportunities of intramurals and recreation

Essentials > Fun To Be Fit
Fun To Be Fit

Kean offers students the opportunity to develop skills while having fun 

Ever wondered what it would be like to join recreation or intramural sports?

Kean University's Recreation and Intramural Sports allow students to be active and enjoy a group environment to do so in a manner that is convenient to them. The Department of Recreation and Athletics offers students, faculty and staff an exciting and competitive way to be active, stay in shape and become involved with on-campus sports.

Both departments have a mission to have students participate in the many activities offered, provide free fitness and create an enjoyable experience. The Department of Recreation and Athletics consists of a variety of classes offered seven days a week in their fitness center facilities including the pool, arena, indoor track and weight room.

The D'Angola Gymnasium weight room is equipped with top of the line equipment from Life Fitness and Hammer Strength, three plasma televisions and a stereo system with surround sound.

Activities in the Harwood Arena include basketball, indoor soccer and volleyball. Activities in the Kean Alumni Stadium include flag football, while activities in the fitness center include Life Fitness and Hammer Strength. Lastly, activities in the cardio loft include the elliptical, treadmill and stationary bicycles.

Aside from the activities listed above, Kean University Recreation offers classes under their Fit To Be Kean (FTBK) wellness club that is designed for the student's schedule and goal.

Classes offered under the program are yoga, zumba, cardio kickboxing, body sculpt, step aerobics, martial arts, salsa and many others.

Intramural sports offers students the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports despite their lack of skill. Sports offered include basketball, flag football, volleyball, indoor soccer, co-ed dodgeball and co-ed tennis. 

The fitness center located in the D'Angola Gymnasium would like students and faculty to be aware of its rules and policies. All students and faculty must have a valid Kean ID in order to enter the fitness center, locker rooms or fitness facilities. Students must be wearing athletic clothing only and any changing clothes must be placed in lockers. Keep in mind that Kean University does not take responsibility for lost belongings.

Both departments want to ensure the safety of students and their belongings so it is important for students to respect the rule of no guests and to provide the appropriate identification.

Harwood Arena Fitness Center Summer Hours: 

• Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

East Campus Fitness Center Summer Hours: 

• Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

D'Angola Gymnasium Summer Hours: 

The fall hours for Fitness Center:

• Monday 12:30 to 10 p.m.
  • Tuesday 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Wednesday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Thursday 12:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Friday 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Saturday 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Sunday 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. 

Pool Hours:

• Monday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Tuesday 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m and will resume from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m then from 8:45 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Wednesday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Thursday 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and will resume from 8:45 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Friday 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and will resume from 1:45 p.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Saturday is closed
  • Sunday 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. 

East Campus Fitness Center hours:

• Monday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Tuesday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Wednesday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Thursday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Friday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Saturday and Sunday is closed

Field House Weight Room Hours: 

• Monday 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Tuesday 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Wednesday 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Thursday 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Friday 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Saturday and Sunday is closed

Small Gym Hours:

• Monday 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Tuesday 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Wednesday 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Thursday 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Friday 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Saturday 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Sunday 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Harwood Arena Hours:

• Monday 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Tuesday 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Wednesday 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Thursday 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Friday is closed 
  • Saturday 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Sunday 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Caitlyn Boomer, a senior studying global fitness and wellness, explained the importance having an intramural or recreation in ones life if being part of a sport was not an option.

"It is important to have recreation and intramural sports to create a safe, friendly and active environment for students to mature, grow as adults, create a healthy lifestyle and make friends. With having these opportunities and activities, students are not limited to just studying but are able to work out all of the facilities, play different sports and have a good time," said Boomer.

When questioned about who can be involved in intramural and recreation sports, Alexis Oakley a senior studying special education and mathematics explained, "We have a diverse range of students that come out to play and workout. We see all capability for commuter and resident students. Recreation and intramural sports are open to all active students at Kean University. There are no tryouts and no standards. Our mission is to create a judgement free zone for Kean students."

The Department of Recreation and Athletics wants students to understand that there are many opportunities and activities provided, and that they are beneficial as well.

Emily Jurcsek, a senior studying speech and hearing sciences, and Nico Mercadente, a junior studying therapeutic recreation said, "Intramural sports are beneficial to all students who are not able to do varsity sports, but want to start a healthier lifestyle and are looking to make new friends. Wenzhou students who are new to American sports can learn some American culture and make friends. Recreation also has an organization called Rec-N-Crew, a club on campus that helps with concessions for varsity games and outside events as well. Rec-N-Crew is looking to build the recreation aspect of Kean University." 

Students should understand that all fitness facilities hours are subject to change due to games, events or academic issues. Any students interested in looking into recreational or intramural sports should contact recreation@kean.edu or visit the website at intramurals.keanathletics.com

Remember, it is always fun to be fit!