Hey! Chill Out!

Tired? Grab a seat

Essentials > Hey! Chill Out!
Hey! Chill Out!

A place to kick back and relax, a hang out spot and a study area altogether

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

Sometimes students, faculty and staff just want to sit down and take a moment. When they are tired, they are not themselves. 

Most lounges around campus are also studying areas for students. Check out the many places to study at Kean University. There are many other areas on campus for students and faculty to take a seat and chill out.

With the recent addition of the North Avenue Academic Building (NAAB), there has been an increase of lounges people can relax and study in. Many of these areas are:

• North Avenue Academic Building (NAAB)
    • When first entering the NAAB, the lobby has many comfortable chairs for students to hang out. Every floor has their own mini lounge scattered throughout the halls, in addition to the comfortable chairs with pull out desks by the windows. Since the place is fairly new, do not be surprised if every floor is occupied with students.
  • Green Lane Academic Building (GLAB)
    • The other entrance of the GLAB building is by the Barnes and Noble entrance and there is a round of couches by the elevator. Just like the NAAB, there are chairs, couches and mini lounges scattered through the building hallways. Unlike NAAB, there are a few floors available for students to just hang out. The offices are used by student workers and some floors are solely used for design majors. Besides those rooms and areas, students are free to hang out on any of these floors.
  • East Campus 
    • At Nathan Weiss Graduate College, there is an open student lounge on the second floor for students to quietly study or relax.
    • Inside Cafe Yumba, there is a lounge where students can study while they eat.
  • Liberty Hall Campus
    • At the New Jersey Center for Science, Technology and Mathematics (STEM) Building, there is an open lounge for students to hang out with their friends. It is located near the entrance of the building.
    • There are six floors in the STEM Building, but only five of them have classrooms. On every floor, there is a mini lounge area where students can sit down, get comfortable, hang out and/or study.
  • Main Campus
    • Wilkins Theatre has a lobby full of couches where students can sit and hang out. The lobby is located right by the main entrance. This lobby is the only lounge area in Wilkins Theatre. There are also power outlets for students to charge their laptops and phones if needed.
    • Vaughn-Eames Hall main lobby has chairs and tables where students can chill out and study. The lobby is located right by the main entrance.
    • The Commuters Lounge is located on Hutchinson Hall's first floor. There are two rooms, one for quiet studying and another for resting and killing time until class. There is a mini lobby on each floor, located in front of every main staircase.
    • Hennings Hall an open lounge by the elevator located on the first floor.
    • In the Science Building, there are mini lounges made up of couches and tables by the windows of every floor. Students can find them on the same corner of every floor.
    • Bruce Hall has tables and chairs on the first floor. The area is located by the hallway leading to Townsend Hall.
    • In Townsend Hall, there is an open lounge that has comfortable chairs and tables for students to study. The area is located on the first floor between Bruce Hall and the Administration Building.
    • The Nancy Thompson Library has a huge lounge for students on the first main floor. Besides the half circle of couches right by the Starbucks, there are couches and tables further inside the lobby. This is the most common place to take a nap.
    • In the Center for Academic Success (CAS), the first floor has chairs where students may sit and relax. There are some chairs scattered throughout the hallway on every floor, so if the first floor is packed, there are other options.
    • The Miron Student Center (MSC) has small mini lounges by the bathrooms on the second and third floor. In addition, there is another mini lounge on the third floor with colorful chairs and tables. On the first floor, there are chairs for people to hang out, along with tables with desks on the sides of the computer lab. The game room has a lounge in the middle of the room where friends just want to talk without worrying about being too loud. Further by the televisions in the game room, there are more couches to relax on.

Whenever it is time to hang out and take a break, people should consider these lounge areas to relax. Just keep in mind of students who are trying to rest and study so everyone can have an enjoyable time!

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.