Hispanic Parties All Night Long

A month full of activities to celebrate this month

Campus News > Hispanic Parties All Night Long
Hispanic Parties All Night Long

The flags decorate in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

Kicking off National Hispanic Heritage Month, Kean University's Student Organization (the full-time undergraduate student government) of Kean University, along with P.U.L.S.E. Programming Committee (P.U.L.S.E.), held Latin Patio Night.

Latin Patio Night took place at the Miron Student Center (MSC) Patio on Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. To be able to get food, students had to sign in and swipe their student ID's to Student Organization and redeem tickets.

In addition to that event, there was the Vamonos event, held by the Commuter Resource Center (CRC), at the Commuter's Lounge located at Hutchinson Hall during college hour on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. During Vamonos, Gourmet Dining served food to students who attended the event. Decorated around the Commuter's Lounge were flags from Latin America. During each event, Hispanic and Latin music played and entertained the Kean University community. 

During this event, students also had to swipe in to prove overall attendance. According to Niche.com, an online college scholarship finder and review site, Kean University is listed as being one of the most diverse campuses in New Jersey. This diversity makes a lot of Kean students feel at home, and at this event students felt comfortable because of the interactions and food given out. Even those who are of Hispanic or Latin descent were encouraged to experience another culture for a few hours. Even now, everyone is still encouraged to celebrated with each other at Kean for Hispanic Heritage Month.

Hispanic Heritage Month runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, but some may wonder why the Hispanic Heritage Month begins in the middle of the month. According to history, Sept. 15 is the anniversary of the independence of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. Sept. 16 is when Mexico celebrates its independence, and Chile follows after on Sept. 18.

Last year, Student Organization hosted the Latin Festival at the Center for Academic Success (CAS) to kick off Hispanic Heritage Month. Kean Stage also celebrated by hosting two shows, The Havana Cuba All-Stars Cuban Nights and Jacome Flamenco.

Besides those two events, there are other events that Kean University is doing to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month.

On Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017, Student Organization popped in at the Kean Hall trolley stops with free breakfast, Latin style. At 7:45 a.m., students who were lucky enough were treated to traditional Hispanic breakfast foods, coffee and giveaways. 

Student Organization and the Graduate and Part-Time Student Council (GPSC) hosted Latin Night as the MSC Cougar's Den on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. The event lasted from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Students can come celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with the sisters of Omega Phi Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc on Thursday, Sept. 28 at 7:30 p.m. in the MSC Greek Lounge. They will have games, prizes, food and cultural learning for those who participate.

Hosted by Kean Stage, Pablo Sáinz Villegas will perform his interpretations on the Spanish guitar on Friday, Sept. 29, 2017 at the Enlow Recital Hall from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. He will conjure the passion and drama of his homeland’s rich musical heritage. Villegas is known for his emotive and open-hearted playing and has been hailed by Placido Domingo as “the master of the guitar.”

For those who want more information or purchase tickets, they can visit http://www.keanstage.com/event/d1c2524b496eae6dae6a773883559d87.

One last event that will take place to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month will be hosted by Residential Student Services (RSS) on Monday, Oct. 16, 2017. At Dougall Lounge from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., RSS will host "Let's Take A Trip To The Islands." Resident students can come together to learn about a variety of experiences, insights and taste of the Hispanic culture, while sharing the many meanings of diversity.

At Kean University, there are more than enough changes for students to learn about other nationalities and ethnicities around them. Whether students are commuters or dormers, there is a way to celebrate.

Not only is the CRC decorated with flags, but all around the campus, students can see banners, flags and facts about notable and memorable Hispanic people or events. If students do not get the chance to attend every celebration or party with the rest of the Kean community, they can definitely learn something new during this month.

Cougar Link shows all the events that will take place during Hispanic Heritage Month, so for those who wants more details on every event and social gathering, go head over to Cougar Link!

Besides, Hispanic Heritage Month is not over yet! Go out and explore beyond Kean University to get more than what Kean can offer.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.