Kean University Shouts Out Pink

Events for Breast Cancer Awareness month

Campus News > Kean University Shouts Out Pink
Kean University Shouts Out Pink

Have hope, strength and courage!

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and as much as the breast cancer death rates have been going down, it is still the most common cancer among women in the United States, following lung cancer.

Every year, Kean University hosts events throughout the month in order to fight against breast cancer. As an overview, the following shows what students can expect this upcoming month.

On Monday, Oct. 2, 2017 at 12:30 p.m., the Center for Leadership and Service (CLS) will be hosting its breast cancer kick off. For its kick off, CLS will be fundraising money for breast cancer at its table in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Atrium.

Students, faculty and staff can join the Kean University team and purchase "Kean Blue Thinks Pink" t-shirts and hoodies throughout the month of October. T-shirts will be sold for $10 while hoodies will be sold for $25. All the proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society. 

At the tabling, the Kean community can register for the Breast Cancer Walk that will take place on Sunday, Oct. 22, 2017 from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The walk will occur at Piscataway, New Jersey, and transportation for this event will be provided for students that preregister.

Students must wear their Kean gear to join the other students in dressing up in pink before the walk.

On the same day at 7:30 p.m. in MSC 315, Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. and Omega Phi Chi Sorority Inc. will be hosting a Breast Cancer Fashion Show to honor empowering breast cancer survivors with a survivor fashion show and presentation.

On Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017 from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Omega Phi Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. will be hosting its annual Breast Cancer Dinner. The dinner will take place in MSC 228 and all proceeds will go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. 

For more information about the t-shirts and hoodies, please contact the CLS, located in MSC room 219, by calling 908-737-5170 or emailing serve@kean.edu. For more information about the other events hosted on campus, check out Cougar Link.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.