Meet the Greeks at KU

Stop by and explore the Greek life

Campus Life > Meet the Greeks at KU
Meet the Greeks at KU

Come out and join the festivities of Meet the Greeks which will be held on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at Harwood Arena hosted by the Center for Leadership and Service (CLS). The event will start at 5 p.m. and run until 10 p.m. 

Greek Life provides leadership and business training, interpersonal skills, cooperative learning skills, potential scholarships and community service opportunities, as well as networking and making new friendships.

Valeria Cruz, a senior studying psychology with a minor in health sciences and a sister of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority (LTA) explained that Meet the Greeks is about taking advantage of the information given.

"When students walk into this event they have no idea what to expect most of the time. When I walked into my first Meet the Greek event, I was extremely excited but also overwhelmed," Cruz said. "I knew I was interested in being Greek but I had no idea what organization would be best. By the time I left the event, I knew what I wanted and where to go next. It is all about researching, asking questions and stepping out of some comfort zones."

When asked about why she joined Greek life, she responded, "Personally, I believe that fraternities and sororities offer much more than what most people think and can actually help you with your college career and gives you so many different experiences and opportunities."

Cruz reminds students that there are many benefits to joining Greek life. Benefits such as having a life-long family of students and being involved. She also clarified that Greek life has influenced and helped her in many ways including gaining family, confidence and the ability to stand for what she believes in. It is also important to understand that the bonds created are deeper than a simple friendship.

She added, “Being involved in an organization can help develop many areas such as social, professional and communication. Not every organization stands for the same or have the same values, however they all want something more out of the college experience."

Cruz advised to those attending Meet the Greeks, that Greek life is not for everybody.

"Go to every table and ask questions! Do your research, find your comfort zone and step out of it. Find the organization that speaks to you. For some people, Greek life becomes a lifetime commitment. For others, it is just a college experience. At the end of the day, it is your dedication and pride that becomes memorable."

CLS and Greek life encourage all students to attend and it should be noted that each student must present their student IDs. All proceeds from Meet the Greeks will be donated to the Kean Dance Marathon (KDM) which will be held during Spring semester. 

Stop by and engage in Greek life!