Providing Public Safety

The importance of campus police

Essentials > Providing Public Safety
Providing Public Safety

Downs Hall is where The Department of Public Safety is

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

At Kean University, students and faculty are always provided safety and security by university police. 

Kean University's police provides full law enforcement and security services to the campus 24 hours a day, seven days a week. By checking out the university website, students and faculty can see the services provided by the university police. From body worn cameras to their safety escort program, university police shows the importance of integrity, courage and respect.

Read about Kean University's campus alert program. CampusAlert is a program that helps inform students and faculty about the status of campus. Everyone is encouraged to have this application connected to them. There are directions on how to sign up for the program.

The Department of Public Safety/Police, located in Downs Hall, "provides the full spectrum of law enforcement services, from uniformed patrol to a fully staffed criminal investigations bureau to maintaining our own K-9 response unit," excerpted from their website.

They also work closely with with the surrounding municipal and county law enforcement agencies, as well as stakeholders throughout the other university departments, to provide the safest possible environment for Kean University.

Anyone part of the campus community are highly encouraged to report all actual, attempted or suspected crimes, as well as other emergency situations to the university police.

Around campus, there are blue light telephones that have been strategically placed at 13 outdoor locations throughout the campus. They are available to use for non-emergency and emergency situations.

As instructed on the website, "For non-emergencies, use the key pad to dial five-digit on-campus telephone numbers. For emergencies push the red button. The number for our 24-hour Communications Center is x74800, or (908)737-4800 from a cellular or off campus phone. Free on-campus telephones are located in the lobbies and corridors of most campus buildings."

Of course, with any other important emergencies, everyone is encouraged to dial 9-1-1 from a local or personal phone.

With the protection and help from university police, there are barely any occasion in which students feel unsafe. 

Before leaving in May 2015, Police Department director Adam Shubsda said that their staff, “receive emergency first responder training while in the academy,” and each officer “must update their Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certifications annually.”

So rest assured, because The Department of Public Safety has Kean University protected. Of course, if there are any suspicious occurrences on campus, do not hesitate to report it or tell someone about it.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.