Revamping The Den

Out with the old, in with the new

Campus News > Revamping The Den
Revamping The Den

Changing up the look of the place

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

Besides the new eateries, new buildings and new events being added to Kean University's campus, the Cougar's Den in the Miron Student Center (MSC) has been remodeled and updated.

During the summer of 2017, Cougar's Den has been in the process of being revamped so it can have a different layout and more of an Applebee's kind of atmosphere, as majority of the students requested it to be. 

Many students have been chilling out and eating at the new Cougar's Den. Among the many students, Fabio Castelblanco, senior English education double major, has been to the renovated Cougar's Den to see the improvements applied to the place.

"Honestly, the place looks really nice," said Castelblanco. "It's like a sports bar; the place looks brighter than before. The colors are more vibrant and the overall area feels welcoming and chill."

The walls now have plasma screen televisions wherever students look. In addition to the televisions, there is Kean University paraphernalia decorating the room.

"Cougar's Den feels more roomy and the decor screams our school pride," said Angelo Geronimo, junior bio major. "I like the addition of the booths at the den because it makes the area feel like there are more seats available. I've been going there whenever I don't bring food from home, but now, I always choose the Den because of the vibes it provides."

Each plasma screen television shows a different sports game, ranging from women's tennis to men's soccer. Every sports fan can come to the Cougar's Den to enjoy watching a game as they eat their food. Even if one is not a sports fan, there is now more space for students to hang out with their friends when other places are full.

The Cougar's Den has gotten positive feedback from those who dorm because the Cougar's Den is now open on Sundays, as to where it was just open from Monday to Friday previous semesters. 

The hours for the Cougar's Den for the fall 2017 semester are as follows:

• Monday through Thursday: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
  • Friday: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Sunday: 1:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

The decision to remodel the Cougar's Den was made by the executive board under The Office of Student Government. Damion Wilson, senior communications major and president of The Office of Student Government, discussed how the process of the renovations came to be.

"A lot of students wanted something like Applebee's. They wanted to feel off-campus even though they were still here," said Wilson. "The idea had to be passed through the Student Organization and Graduate and Part-time Student Council before choosing anything."

Staff from the Office of Student Government were the ones who decided the color schemes, the furniture and the layout of the area.

Besides enjoying the atmosphere the Cougar's Den has to offer, students can look forward to five nights where the Cougar's Den will have low priced appetizers. This way, the Cougar's Den can enhance that Applebee's feeling that The Office of Student Government is aiming for.

Check out the Cougar's Den today and see the new things they have to offer.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.