Making A Difference In The Past Month

A recap for Breast Cancer Awareness month

Homepage > Campus Life > Making A Difference In The Past Month
Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer

Every year, Kean University does its absolute best to raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness month. During the month of October, student groups and the Kean community have come together to create events and activities to get students and faculty to reach a goal of $5,000. As the month comes to an end, the Kean community can look back and see the many things they did to raise awareness and money to be donated to the American Cancer Society.

"Today 1 of every 2 women newly diagnosed with breast cancer reaches out to the American Cancer Society for help and support. The donations our team raises will enable investment in groundbreaking breast cancer research, free information and services for women diagnosed with the disease, and access to mammograms for women who need them. Our donations will help more than 2.9 million breast cancer survivors celebrate another birthday this year!" excerpted from American Cancer Society's website.

Out of 230 teams, Kean University ranked number five for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, an event hosted by American Cancer Society. Kean was able to pass their goal of $5,000 by raising $5,466 as of Tuesday, Oct. 24, 2017.

To start off the month, CLS hosted a Breast Cancer Awareness kickoff Monday, Oct. 2, 2017 in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Atrium. From 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. where students could learn and participate in activities to spread awareness for the month.

That night from 7:30 to 10 p.m. in MSC room 315, the lovely ladies of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., and Omega Phi Chi Sorority Inc. held a Breast Cancer Fashion Show to honor empowering breast cancer survivors along with a survivor fashion show and presentation.

Many Greek organizations hosted their own Breast Cancer Awareness walk and invited the students of Kean University along with their friends to join the stride. Nu Sigma Phi hosted Breast Cancer Awareness Walk With Phi at Staten Island, New York, Sunday, Oct. 15, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. to noon. Haitian Student Association hosted Making Strides Against Breast Cancer at Newark, NJ Sunday, Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

Omega Phi Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. hosted their Annual Breast Cancer Dinner in MSC 228 on Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. 

The Breast Cancer Awareness walk took place at Johnson Park, located in Piscataway, NJ. The walk started at 10 a.m. and ended at 11:30 a.m. Those who wanted to participate had to register that morning at 8:30 a.m. More than 100 people participated in the walk. In addition, sororities from Rutgers University and Kean's Sigma Theta Chi participated in the walk.

Besides the Breast Cancer Awareness walk that took place Sunday, Oct. 22, 2017, student workers from the Center of Leadership and Service (CLS) participated in a bake-off in which students were put into teams to bake goods and offer them to students who donated. Student clubs and organizations were able to participate in raising awareness and bake sweets for community service. The bake-offs ran from Monday, Oct. 16, 2017 to Friday, Oct. 27, 2017 and because of those fundraising efforts, Kean was able to surpass their goal.

One of the final events that Kean University held for Breast Cancer Awareness month was hosted by the Sophisticated Ladies of Mu Sigma Upsilon. Their event "My Life Is Not Perfect, But I Am" ran Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2017. They brought awareness about breast cancer and how it could affect both women and men.

This month has been memorable because of all the hard work students put into spreading awareness for breast cancer. Next year and the many years to come will grow stronger because of the support coming from Kean University.

Joanna Kristine Ninal - web

Joanna Kristine Ninal, Staff Writer
ninaljo@kean.edu

Joanna Kristine Ninal is an English education double major with minors in Asian and Chinese studies. Ninal works as a Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte since fall 2016. Ninal loves to play video games, such as “Overwatch” and “Final Fantasy XIV”, as well as create projects such as videos, stories and scripts in her free time. She loves to read and write, especially dramatic and romantic themes in young adult literature like the Harry Potter series and the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. Her goal in life is to be an English teacher and travel around to teach in countries such as Japan, China and South Korea.