Not A Pep Talk, But A Pep Rally

Inside the homecoming pep rally 2017

Campus Life > Not A Pep Talk, But A Pep Rally
Not A Pep Talk, But A Pep Rally

The Pep Rally was a night of excitement for both the football team and the crowd

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor

Kean University students prepared for Homecoming 2017! With homecoming week came the pep rally, concert and tailgate from Thursday Oct. 5 to Saturday Oct. 7. The Pep Rally took place on Friday, Oct. 6 from 6 to 8 p.m with the doors opening at 5:30 p.m.

The hosts Biasa Young, a junior studying public administration with a minor in marketing and Hana Sabree, a senior studying psychology and minoring in music and African studies came out and started the pep rally by thanking Graduate Part-Time Student Council's (GPSC) and Student Organization. GPSC consists of President Hailey Cruz, Vice President Robert Schiele, Treasurer Lisa Pinto and Secretary Yesse Pullo. Student Organization consists of President Damion Wilson, Vice President Francisco Reyes, Treasurer Tezhanae Jackson, Secretary Nina Townsend, Assistant Secretary Irene Medina, Senior Class President Tahjane Whitsett and Junior Class President Joanne Pepino.

The 2017 Homecoming Court consists of the King and the Queen and this year Kevin Macalos, a senior studying Accounting and Finance and Fatizenebu Oyibo, a senior studying Public Administration and Psychology were crowned. 

As the crowd anticipated who would be announced the homecoming king and queen, Dan Garrett, the football coach, came out to thank the crowd and the other coaches that help build Kean Athletics.

Throughout the pep rally, the hosts displayed various videos of sports teams, and games were played to include the audience and build the excitement. Some of these games were: 

• Song Lyrics Competition: students had to finish the lyrics of songs like Bye Bye Bye by NSYNC, Let It Go by Frozen, Firework by Katy Perry, and Baby by Justin Bieber.
  • Potato Sack Race: students hopped steadily trying to reach the end and back, the audience cheered and laughed along.
  • Basketball Competition: there were two teams of two on each side of the court and the students raced and competed to see who could make the most amount of shots in 30 seconds. Then the winners competed to see who would be on top.
  • Minute to Win It: each student had one minute to shake a ball out of a tissue box.
  • Hungry Hippo: contestants lay on their stomachs on scooters as their teammates held their legs to get the most amount of balls in their baskets.
  • Freestyle Battle: each contestants had 10 seconds to freestyle about Kean and the crowd applauded for the students.
  • Hula Hoop Contest: students started hula hooping and then were challenged to hula hoop with one leg.

Students were then able to showcase their dancing skills in the crowd and with the dance cam recording their moves. The crowd was also able to root for the Kean spirit winners as they were handed their prizes for their cooperation.

Lastly, the anticipation came to an end as the football team made its entrance into the arena chanting and jumping as the crowd screamed in excitement. 

Francisco Reyes Vice President and Nina Townsend Secretary of student Organization had a lot to discuss in terms of the importance of the pep rally.

Reyes: I believe it is important to have the homecoming pep rally because it's the perfect time to get everyone pumped up for the event-filled weekend that is to come. Students are still pumped from the concert the night before so it's only right we have something to channel all that energy and have it roll over into the weekend.
Townsend: The homecoming pep rally is important because it introduces new students to cougar pride, welcomes back older students from the Summer, and reminds everyone that college isn't 100 percent stress! We know that college is also a place to have some fun.

Reyes and Townsend understand that school spirit contribute to homecoming and the success of the Kean community and athletics.

Reyes: School spirit contributes to giving homecoming and Kean a sense of culture. Having that pride of being a Cougar adds to the positive environment I'm sure Kean University loves having around.
Townsend: School spirit contributes a sense of belonging; it keeps students excited about attending Kean University!

They also understand that every year a pep rally is important and helps develop Kean University and Kean Athletics. 

Reyes: In the three years that I have been here, I think it's really nice how each year the hosts have done a great job. They know how to keep the audience engaged, loud, and ready to have fun. They bring that energy a host should have to make sure an event goes well.
Townsend: Each year, the pep rally only gets better! From hosts engaging with the audience to different types of competitions.

A pep rally is about the students and for the students. Shelby Badette, a freshman studying business and Syrai Burgess, a freshman studying athletic training both had a lot to express about the pep rally.

Badette: I heard about the pep rally from friends, Cougarlink and just around campus and I was excited to go. I expected there to be a lot of school spirit, dancing and giveaways.
Burgess: I wanted to go because this would be my first pep rally and I wanted to see the dances and what Kean pep rallies are about.

Petruce Jean Charles - Web

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor
jeanchap@kean.edu

Petruce Jean-Charles is a senior majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. In Spring 2017 she joined The Cougar's Byte staff. She is goal-driven and dedicated to accomplishing her goals, where she wishes to work for successful companies like Huffington Post or The Washington Post. In her free time, she enjoys listening to different artists and watching new horror and thriller movies.