Attention all transfer students! The School of General Studies located in the Center for Academic Success (CAS) is now hiring Transfer Instructional Mentor (TIMs).
The School of General Studies Department is looking for transfer students to employ where they will guide other first year transfer students as they start their way through college. TIMs are peer leaders who provide guidance, outreach and support during the first year experience of college.
TIMs also guide and mentor first year transfer students in the form of individual and group interactions like the Transfer Student Orientation, which is an opportunity for transfer students to get to know Kean, its departments, facilities and much more so students can be prepared for the registration process, with which TIMs help as well. TIMs also provide one-on-one peer mentoring throughout the transfer transition. This mentoring is available to help students understand Kean's requirements and credit system.
Aside from the orientation TIMs provide peer assistance during registration, front office duties and daily departmental tasks.
Students should be aware of the position requirements:
- Currently have and maintain a G.P.A. of a 3.2 or higher
- Must be a transfer student
- Interested in working as a co-teaching-team member with a Kean faculty member in the Transfer Transitions course
- Completed GE 3000 Transfer Transitions to Kean course
- Be able to co-facilitate GE 3000 course along with faculty members
- Completion of mandatory peer leader training workshops
- Free of any academic or disciplinary sanctions
- Knowledge of campus resources and understanding of KeanWise
- Availability to work a minimum of six hours per week and a maximum of 20 hours per week
- Flexibility to work weekends, Transfer Student Orientation, Open Houses, and special projects
- Other office duties for the School of General Studies department
The School of General Studies would like to inform students that letters of recommendations should only be written by past or present employers or professors to ensure capabilities one may have for the position.
All recommendations must also be in a sealed envelope with the applicants full name on the envelope. All recommendations must be submitted to Wilma Velazquez, Transfer Instructional Mentors Coordinator in CAS Room 124.
For students interested, applications are due Feb. 2, 2018 and can be found here. Take the initiative and apply today!