Committed to Health

The Pre-Medical and Pre-Dental Association is a club devoted to the goals of its members

Features > Committed to Health
Committed to Health

A group picture of some of the Pre-Medical Pre-Dental members at one of their meetings

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

In a field as varied as health, it can be difficult for students to find the necessary help needed to navigate toward their intended profession. Fortunately, the Pre-Medical Pre-Dental Association at Kean University gives students the guidance and tools needed to reach their specific goals.

Pre-Medical Pre-Dental Association (PMPD) meets every other Monday in Bruce Hall room 204 from 3:15 to 4:15 p.m. 

PMPD establishes a platform for students to network with like-minded individuals, connect with internship opportunities and get guidance from experienced individuals already practicing in the students' intended profession. 

It was initially created by cell and molecular biology major, Karen Grisales, and is now headed by President Al-Mujeeb Danmole, Secretary Kei Smith, Treasurer Diego Paredes, and Director of Public Relations Nevil Thomas under the instruction of faculty advisers Matthew Mongeli, Ph.D. and Ms. Elis Sosa. 

PMPD helps to facilitate the betterment of their members by hosting guest speakers who talk about relevant subjects such as admission to medical/dental school, other possible medical professions, medical/dental schooling advice and financial aid advice for continued education. PMPD also offers members the chance to network with practicing professionals through conferences. Through the members's own interest in speaking to higher level individuals, connections are established with regard to Kean University that is beneficial for all students on campus, regardless of their affiliation with the club. 

PMPD is marked for its focus on giving members both the guidance they need to accelerate their learning, as well as the means to practice their newly acquired knowledge through internship opportunities provided by Ms. Sosa. 

Thus, PMPD exists as an important stepping stone toward any health profession by offering knowledge, guidance and support.

PMPD President Danmole remarks, "The club shows us where we are and lets us know what we need to do in order to get to where we want to be. I feel as though this is very important because sometimes students are blindfolded or mislead into future careers with no substantiality. Many people dream of being doctors, nurses or physician assistants, but aren't given the tools to bring that dream into existence. That is where I believe Pre-Medical Pre-Dental Association steps in."

Notably, Pre-Medical and Pre-Dental students must go through an especially extensive amount of schooling in order to receive proper qualifications for their practice. Thus, support is perhaps the most important  component in a student's ability to persevere through the many obstacles and stresses thrown at them in their venture toward their intended profession. An association like PMPD gives its members the inspiration and encouragement they need to continue striving toward their goals in spite of any difficulties that may lie ahead. 

PMPD members are also like to become determined and focused individuals who inspire each other to a life committed to helping others.

This is validated by PMPD's President Danmole who states, "Originally, I hadn't planned on sitting on e-board, but I truly felt that my input could inspire those coming up under me to make a difference within their lives. I wanted to show everyone that I wouldn't allow the obstacles in life or a limited amount of resources in my own to determine what my future would be like. I truly had my heart set on being a doctor and so running for president meant I had to lead by example and show everyone that I'm not going to be stopped by anything in my pursuit for my life's dream of becoming an attending physician."

PMPD is a club for anyone and everyone with interests in medicine and health, regardless of who they are or where their specific interests lie. This is a club that is devoted to helping students reach their aspirations of helping others.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.