Catholic Newman Club Presents Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras allows students to feast and to enjoy themselves

Campus Life > Catholic Newman Club Presents Mardi Gras

The Catholic Newman club presents a fun-filled Mardi Gras!

Ever heard of Mardi Gras? The Catholic Newman Club presented a Mardi Gras celebration Feb. 12 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. 

The Catholic Newman Club provides Kean with a positive, supportive community of Catholic students on campus. They also seek to provide educational programs on Catholic-Christian traditions, values and the spiritual search of God.

They strive to integrate their religious values with college life and share it with others. 

Some background about the club includes the meaning behind their name. The Catholic Newman Club takes its name from John Henry Cardinal Newman, beatified by Pope Benedict XV in 2010. 

John Henry Cardinal Newman devoted his life to preaching, teaching and writing. He had a particular passion for spreading the Gospel message through educational institutions. His approach to education continues to inspire and enlighten the world. His work gives individuals an understanding of the Christian life and tells them that every individual has a specific task and unique calling. 

John Henry Cardinal Newman's motto, cor ad cor loquitur, which translates to "heart speaks to heart", distinctly expresses the Catholic Newman Club's unique mission: to bring into communion Christians on campus to personally and positively influence the larger community. 

With their mission to embrace new people and ideas, they created a Mardi Gras event to welcome new students to their club.

Interesting facts about Mardi Gras:

• Mardi Gras literally means "Fat Tuesday" in French. The name comes from the tradition of slaughtering and feasting upon a fattened calf on the last day of Carnival.
  • Fat Tuesday is a long-standing tradition of the Catholic church because it marks the last day of ordinary time before the start of Lent, which is a time of fasting and repentance. 
  • In Louisiana, Mardi Gras is an official state holiday.
  • The celebration of Mardi Gras has its roots in the Pagan Roman celebration of Lupercalia. Lupercalia was a February holiday that honored the Roman god of fertility. The event involved feasting, drinking and carnal behavior.

GoodieBags.JPG

Interesting facts about Lent:

• Lent lasts 40 weekdays from Ash Wednesday to Easter observed by Roman Catholics, Eastern and some Protestant churches.
  • When Lent started, it was only 36 days.
  • Forty days is significant to Christians because Noah had to wait 40 days for his ark to float and Moses traveled for 40 days to the Promise Land.

Erik Sosa, psychology major; Amanda Owen, speech pathology major; and Jessica Onorati, psychology major welcomed students in along with their advisor Mariama Roldan.

When entering the event, students could be seen talking to each other and enjoying the variety of food. The room was decorated with green, purple and gold from beads to bags and even the tables. It was a welcoming atmosphere that allowed people to learn about the Mardi Gras culture and to learn about the club as well.

MardiBeads.JPG

"The Catholic Newman Club organizes events, spiritual talks, mass and volunteering opportunities for its members. We also do off-sight visits like going to help children," said Owen. "Everyone is always welcome, and we provide an open community."

They wanted to emphasize their love for spiritual retreats designed to help bring their members closer to their beliefs but also to have a fun time as well.

"We are different from other clubs because we talk about real topics, controversial topics that most people avoid. We also inform our members of different issues and share love and acceptance of everybody," Sosa explained. "Lent season is one of the best because today we are able to let loose before we fast."

The Catholic Newman Club wants everyone to know that they are always looking for new members!

If student have any questions, they can visit CougarLink or email  catholic@kean.edu for more information.