The Lantern Festival Will Be Lit!

PULSE hosts a Lantern Festival to celebrate the end of the Lunar New Year Spring Festival

Campus News > The Lantern Festival Will Be Lit!
The Lantern Festival Will Be Lit!

Student Organization is hosting a Lantern Festival.

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

Come celebrate the most exciting time of the Lunar calendar at Kean University! PULSE will commemorate the end of the Spring Festival period and the beginnings of the Lunar New Year with a Lantern Festival on Thursday, March 1, at the Miron Student Center Atrium.

2018 is the year of the dog, which is characterized as being fortunate, loyal, responsible, and independent. Along with characterizing people's personalities, it is believed that the animal will also influence how the year will turn out.

Among the many beliefs and rituals surrounding Lunar New Year, it is also a time to honor family and deities. Some traditions around this time include cleaning out "huiqi" from homes, which are unfavorable breaths that may have built up over the past year. This act of cleaning is also to prepare for visits from the gods. 

Sacrifices of food and paper coins are also made as well as scrolls with lucky messages and rituals meant to deter evil spirits. The fortunate children are traditionally given red envelopes filled with money. All these practices are meant to prepare for and bring in good luck in the upcoming year. 

The Lunar New Year takes place during the period of the Spring Festival, which is China's most important festival. The last day of this festival is marked by a Lantern Festival. This year it will fall on Friday, March 2, 2018.

Because of China's large size and complex history, each region in China may celebrate the Lantern Festival a little differently. Some shared customs, however,  include the act of celebrating with lanterns, guessing riddles, eating tangyuan (filled, ball-shaped dumplings), and lion dances.

PULSE hopes to bring this celebratory event to the Miron Student Center Atrium on Thursday, March 1, from 6 to 8 p.m.

The event will have lion dances, stilt walkers and lots of delicious food.

Students can find more information and RSVP for the event on Cougar Link

For questions, contact Student Organization at stuorg@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.