A(wear)ness In Red

Wear Red Day seeks to bring knowledge to the Kean community about heart disease

Campus Life > A(wear)ness In Red
A(wear)ness In Red

National Wear Red Day was an event that left students and guests with information and fun times!

National Wear Red Day is an event in February that seeks to show support and awareness for women by wearing red. Wear Red Day at Kean University took place on Friday, Feb. 2, from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Atrium.

Kean University joined the American Heart's Association to fight against heart disease by dedicating a day of information, discussions and even healthy heart friendly snacks such as nuts and fruits. 

Wearing Red was a great way to show support for the fight against heart disease because it's a powerful way to spread awareness about cardiovascular disease and stroke in women. 

The American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement advocates for more research and methods that women can follow to fix their health.

Wear Red Day (21).JPG

Students could be seen coming in, wondering what the event was about. Many of them instantly engaged themselves in various activities such as:

• Trash or Toss - Use the ping pong balls and decide what foods are good or bad. The good foods go into a box, and the bad foods go in the trash. It is a tricky game that allows people to challenge them.
Wear Red Day (24).JPG

• Wheel Trivia - Students have the opportunity to spin a wheel in order to win a dress pin or have the chance to test their knowledge with trivia. 

Wear Red Day (27).JPG

Aside from various games, snacks were also provided such as pecans, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and hazel nuts. Students and guests were also given healthy recipes such as frozen yogurt bark, apple nachos and many more.

Frozen Yogurt Bark ingredients include:

• 1 1/2 cups of 2% low-fat Greek yogurt  
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped, unsalted almonds
  • 1/2 cup of chopped mango
  • 1/4 cup of blackberries or raspberries
  • 1/2 cup of blueberries

Apple Nachos ingredients includes:

• 1/2 cup of dried, unsweetened cranberries or raisins
  • 1/4 cup of sliced almonds (unsalted)
  • 2 tablespoon of hulled, unsalted sunflower seeds
  • 3 red or green apples
  • 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons of water
  • 1/4 cup of reduced fat, smooth peanut butter

Wear Red Day (6).JPG

Facts about heart disease in women:

• Everyday women are dying at the rate of almost one per minute. 
  • A woman is ten times more likely to die of heart disease.
  • According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (N.I.H.) in the U.S., coronary heart disease is the number one killer of women in the United States.
  • Since the initiation of National Wear Red Day campaign in 2003, an increased focus on heart disease in women and death in women has decreased more than 30% over the past 10 years.

Myths about heart disease include:

• Heart disease is just for men. 
  • Heart disease doesn't affect women who are fit or "in shape".
  • Heart disease comes with symptoms.
  • Heart disease is inevitable for those with a family history.

Causes for heart disease include:

• Heart failure or congestive heart failure
  • Arrhythmia - beating to fast, slow or irregular
  • Atherosclerosis - plaque buildup in the walls of the arteries

Women symptoms include:

• Shortness of breath
  • Back Pain
  • Nausea or Vomiting
  • Jaw Pain

Prevention techniques:

• Don't smoke
  • Manage blood sugar
  • Lower cholesterol
  • Stay active

Signs of a heart attack:

• Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg
  • Sudden confusion, difficulty speaking or understanding
  • Sudden trouble seeing or blurred vision
  • Sudden trouble walking, dizziness or loss of balance
  • Severe headaches

This event also sheds light on the issue of silent heart attacks or silent ischemia that shows little to no symptoms. Many people have experienced them, but due to their silent nature an MRI or EKG is the only way to figure it out. A good way to know if one is experiencing one is through high blood pressure, obesity, age, high cholesterol, smoking or family history. 

Wear Red Day (1).JPG

Just as staying active is important the Fitness Center and Fittobekean sat around and explained the importance of working out and being healthy. 

Fit to be Kean takes place in Whiteman Hall Lounge and classes include:

• Zumba
  • Pound
  • Total Body Workout
  • Cougar Circuit
  • Cardio Kickboxing

Roberto Adams, a sophomore studying early childhood education, was eager to speak about the cause and to explain the importance of this event.

“Today is very important and vital because there a lot of issues with cardiovascular diseases and heart disease. So today we want to educate people on the do’s and don’ts in order to keep themselves healthy,” said Adams.

From the standpoint of a student walking into the event, Ainsley Stephens, a sophomore studying early childhood education, spoke of how she heard of the event and why she wanted to be a part of it. 

“I heard about this event through Instagram, campus and my sorority. I think this event spreads awareness because when you come in you see healthy snacks or the color red pops out,” Stephens said. 

National Wear Red Day is a time for everyone to come together and to support women in their fight and awareness of heart disease. 

Go red for women's health!