Genocide Awareness Month

NANA to be Screened at Kean University

Campus News > Genocide Awareness Month
Genocide Awareness Month

NANA to screen at Kean University

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

The film NANA by Serena Dykman will be screened Wednesday, April 4, at 2 p.m. in the Miron Student Center Little Theatre.

NANA is the story of Maryla Michalowski-Dyamant as told by her granddaughter, Serena Dykman. In the film, Dykman and her mother, Alice Dykman, recount the story of Michalowski-Dyamant during and after her detainment to Auschwitz- Birkenau. 

The film begins in the ghettos of Bedzin, Poland where Michalowski-Dyamant originated from. She was later transferred and lived through the concentration camps of Ravenbruck, Malchow and Auschwitz. She was able to escape the gas chambers by reluctantly working for the infamous Dr. Josef Mengele (also known as the "Angel of Death"). 

After her release from the camps, Michalowski-Dyamant spent the rest of her life working as an activist against intolerance. 

In the film, Dykman uncovers Michalowski-Dyamant's remarkable life through the testimonials of people who knew her. These testimonials serve as evidence of Michalowski-Dyamanat's character and devotion to her cause.

Serena and Alice Dykman also intend to use the film in memory of the holocaust survivors who are no longer able to tell their story. In remembering the unique story of Michalowski- Dyamant, Serena and Alice Dykman also hope to bring light to the increasing frequency of similarities between Michalowski-Dyamanat's pre-war times and today's time. 

NANA has since earned multiple awards including the Leon Award for Best Documentary at the St. Louis International Film Festival, Best Biography Award at the Palm Beach International Film Festival, and Bill Snyder Award for Best Documentary Feature at the Fargo Film Festival. The film has become an important contender in the fight against intolerance and a repeat of holocaust- like events. 

Kean University will present the film in honor of Genocide Awareness Month.

For more information on the film, visit nanafilm.com.

For more information on the screening or to RSVP, students can go to Cougar Link.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.