Homeruns For Hector

Help raise money for a charitable cause

Campus News > Homeruns For Hector
Homeruns For Hector

Get ready for a night full of fun and home runs at the Homeruns For Hector volleyball tournament!

Kieffer Braisted, Staff Writer

Kickball is a childhood sport that creates memorable moments. Now, the opportunity to showcase these skills is coming to Kean.

Home Runs for Hector is a great opportunity to help raise money for a charitable cause and perhaps kick a couple of home runs. 

The event, taking place Thursday, April 19 from 6 to 10 p.m. in Harwood Arena, will help raise money for the Hector Gomez Scholarship Fund, a program dedicated to rewarding athletic training students at Kean. 

At $5 a player, the event provides an affordable opportunity for an entire night of fun. Teams will consist of seven to nine players. 

Anyone without a team should not fear. Sign-ups are being accepted until the day-of, and any singular players will be placed on a team either randomly or by choice. 

In order for applicants to qualify for the scholarship, one must be a sophomore or junior majoring in athletic training. A minimum 3.0 GPA and proven financial need are also required. 

A former Marine Lance Corporal, Hector Gomez was a sophomore at Kean majoring in athletic training. Tragically and unexpectedly, his life was taken in a car accident over spring break in 2014. 

Committed to remembering the accomplished and horrifically short life of Hector, this annual tournament aims to help those who are now in the shoes Hector once wore. 

Prizes will be awarded to the winning team! More information is available on CougarLink

Those with any questions about both the scholarship fund or tournament are encouraged to contact President Brooke Mackie at mackibro@kean.edu

Kieffer Braisted - Web

Kieffer Braisted, Staff Writer
braistki@kean.edu 

Kieffer Braisted is a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte. He joined the staff in March 2018.