Learn Your Inner Power

AToD Task Force teach students about sexual assault awareness

Campus Life > Learn Your Inner Power
Learn Your Inner Power

Peer educators set up a table to educate students on sexual assault in 2018.  

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

On Tuesday, April 3, the Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs Task Force (AToD) set out to educate students on sexual assault awareness. 

Unbeknownst to many people, April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). April 3 was specifically SAAM's day of action. People are encouraged by the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)to wear teal to show unity for the cause. 

Some of the earliest recorded protests against sexual assault in the United States took place in the 1970s to object the harassment women received during walks at night. Over time, the campaign for sexual assault awareness took to advocating for April to be the designated month for protests. The first official observation of Sexual Assault Awareness Month in the United States was held in April 2001. Since then, the month's united protests is managed by the NSVRC. 

Peer educators of the AToD set out a table with a spin the wheel game and informational pamphlets at the Miron Center Atrium. The spin wheel had sections labeled: creating, identifying, intervening and recognizing. Depending on where the spinner stopped, students would play a game relating to the label. For example, if the wheel ended on "recognizing" students would have to determine whether a statement like, "Victims of sexual assault 'ask for it' by the way they dress, act or by 'being in the wrong place,'" was true or false.

Sexual Assault Awareness: Day of Action

Peer educators also provided numerous helpful brochures for students on sexual assault including: "Date Rape: Ten Things You Can Do to Protect Yourself," "Date and Acquaintance Rape", and "Domestic Violence: The Law and You." 

A list of the following on-campus resources were also given out: 

• Kean University Police: located in Downs Hall. For emergencies dial 911. For non emergencies dial (908) 717-4800.
  • Kean University Counseling Center: located in Downs Hall. Contact them at (908) 737-4850 if at any point you need someone to talk to about any incidents.
  • The Office of Vice President of Student Affairs: located in room 124 of Kean Hall. Call (908) 737-4080 if you need help changing your schedule or are unsure about where to go for a particular type of need.
  • The Office of Residential Student Services: Contact the office at (908) 737-6800 for on-campus residents who ever need help or have questions.
  • The Kean University Health Center: Located in Room 216 in Downs Hall. Contact them at (908) 737-4880 for any medical concerns.

The table also included a pamphlet with information of the services offered at the Union County Rape Crisis Center. The center is located at 300 North Avenue, East, Westfield, NJ, 07090. For more information or to contact the center, call (908) 233-7273 or visit ucnj.org.

The objective of the peer educators was to teach students about sexual assault, their rights after assault and the resources available to them on and off campus. Sexual Assault Awareness Day of Action is only one day dedicated to spreading information on sexual misconduct. Still, this important spread of information is not limited to this one day. Students are encouraged to continue in their efforts to keep themselves and others safe by lessening the frequency of sexual harassment in the world.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.