Let's Talk Business

Kean University hosts its annual business plan competition

Campus News > Let's Talk Business
Let's Talk Business

Kean University hosts its annual Business Plan Competition.

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

Kean University will be hosting the finals of its annual Business Plan Competition Thursday, April 12 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Little Theatre, Miron Student Center. 

The Business Plan Competition is managed by the School of Management and Marketing and is the largest entrepreneurship event on campus. The process for the Business Plan Competition began way back in December of 2017. Judges and candidates had to go through an extensive process of registering and analyzing plans, eventually selecting the finalists by March 29. 

Finalists will get the opportunity to present their full business plans for up to $10,000 in prizes to judges within the industry and the rest of the Kean community.

The purpose of the competition was to illicit creative thinking and collaboration between students, Kean University and the business community. 

Both high school students (through DECA) and college students were eligible to compete in the event as individuals or a team of two or three. College students from all Kean campuses and New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) were open to participate. 

Finalists include two students from high school, one from New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), two from Wenzhou Kean and the rest from Kean Union and Kean Ocean. 

The business plans and a short descriptions of them are as follows:

• BioAttire: plans for a company to use recycled materials to make clothes
  • E Cards: plans to make digital business cards
  • Forte: plans for a mobile app where musicians can collaborate with others or promote themselves
  • Green Community Farm: plans to create an organic farmyard for rent
  • HealthyBlender: plans to establish healthy dining for students and faculty at Wenzhou Kean
  • OffRecord Parties: plans to create a mobile app for finding private parties on college campuses
  • Tudoor: plans to create a tutoring management system so that universities can streamline and enhance their internal tutoring services. 
  • VaultCash: plans to establish storage and distribution of data of cryptocurrency technologies
  • Variable Intensity Brake Light: plans to make a brake light that changes color based on the breaking force

The audience will be able to interact with the finalists to decide on a vote for their favorite business plan. There will also be raffle prizes for $25 gift cards and T-shirts from the competition for guests at the event.

For more information, visit Cougar Link or contact BIZPLAN@kean.edu.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.