ReelAbilities

The New Jersey Disabilities Film Festival at Kean University

Campus News > ReelAbilities
ReelAbilities

ReelAbilities celebrates all people with different disabilities.

Abigail Anne Rafael, Staff Writer

The ReelAbilities: New Jersey Film Festival at Kean University will be held from April 19 to April 22 at the North Avenue Academic Building. 

The film festival will screen 20 films for and by the disability community that highlight the strength, resilience and various narratives of America's largest minority group. 

The festival is open to everyone and admission will be $5 for the public and free for Kean students with an ID. Tickets are available for purchase at the Kean Stage box office.

Kean Stage is making efforts to accommodate all guests. All films are captioned unless otherwise noted, and pre-requested notices for assistive listening devices, ASL interpretation, CART, audio description, braille and large-print programs will be serviced. The venue is also wheelchair accessible with abundant parking.

The following films will be screened on the determined dates and times:

Thursday, April 19 at 6:30 p.m.

• American Veteran
  • Birthday

Thursday, April 19 at 8:30 p.m.

• Patrick's Day
  • Aftermath

Friday, April 20 at 12:30 p.m.

• Ballad from Tibet
  • How We Met Laurel

Friday, April 20 at 6:30 p.m.

• Aphasia
  • Mr. Connelly Has ALS

Friday, April 20 at 8:30 p.m.

• Mind Over Matter
  • Maria & Pete

Saturday, April 21 at 2 p.m.

• Agalée
  • Leo & Carole
  • Intimacy
  • All Day 
  • Maria & Pete

Saturday, April 21 at 4 p.m.

• Bottom Dollar
  • Design-Ability

Saturday, April 21 at 8 p.m.

• Defiant Lives
  • 46/47
  • The Milky Pop Kid

Sunday, April 22 at 11 a.m.

• Perfectly Normal For Me
  • Macropolis

Sunday, April 22 at 3 p.m.

• Margarita with a Straw
  • I Don't Wanna Go Back Alone

ReelAbilities was started by Anita Altman and Isaac Zalblocki in 2007. The film festival was first held in Manhattan, New York but has since spread to all over North America in celebration of the disability community. Committed to its diverse student body, Kean University has taken initiative to host the film festival along with other schools and partners of the program.

For more information on the schedule or for a synopsis of the films, visit kean.edu.

To purchase tickets, visit keanstage.com.

For questions, comments or concerns on the Kean University hosted ReelAbilities film festival, contact Steve Cochran or Millie Gonzales at mgonzale@kean.edu or (908) 737- 0586.

For more information on ReelAbilities as a whole, visit reelabilities.org. For specific information on ReelAbilities film festivals in New Jersey or to find out how you can get involved with the program within the state of New Jersey, visit newjersey.reelabilitieslegacy.org.

c4b40b97-38be-4cec-a16e-ea1d7e1be4d0.sized-1000x1000.jpg

Abigail Anne Rafael, Staff Writer
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. With a strong passion for people and life, she hopes to acquire experiences and knowledge that will help her better herself and others. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. When she isn’t working for The Cougar’s Byte, studying or involved in her clubs, she enjoys watching YouTube videos. She especially loves to watch TED talks and The Ellen Show. She hopes to one day host her own TED talk and meet Ellen DeGeneres.