Kean’s Gospel Choir To Compete At McDonald's Gospelfest

The Gospelchoir is very excited to showcase their talent at the Gospelfest again.

Campus News > Kean’s Gospel Choir To Compete At McDonald's Gospelfest

Kean Gospel Choir after winning at McDonald's Gospelfest in 2016.

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

The Kean Gospel Choir was yet again selected as a finalist to compete at McDonald’s Gospelfest. This event is taking place on Saturday, May 12 at Newark Symphony Hall in Newark, NJ, and is a competition between choirs from the New York and New Jersey area. Gospelfest will also feature world renowned singers and musicians such as Vashawn Mitchell, Melba Moore, Leandria Johnson, and Hezekiah Walker.

There are several categories of competition such as comedy, solo, and dance; however the Kean Gospel Choir will be participating in the adult choir category. The choir always looks forward to this event as they have won first place in both 2016 and 2017. They are very excited to perform again in front of a large crowd and are hopeful that they will take home another title. 

“The choir is so grateful to represent Kean University in this capacity. Being able to collectively serve as an ambassador for our school on a platform of this magnitude is exciting. We are looking forward to the future endeavors we have yet to stumble upon. It’s really a great time to be a Kean Cougar,” said Ymani Hawkins, the public relations member of the Kean Gospel Choir.

The choir looks forward to representing Kean University at McDonald’s GospelFest, and are excited to sing their selection to a crowd of this caliber.  

Kean Gospel Choir

Kean Gospel Choir at MCdonald’s GospelFest in 2017.

Kean Gospel Choir is very active on the university campus, having performed at many events such as the ceremony designated to honor Dr. Martin Luther King’s visit to Kean University, Pan-African Student Association’s Black Love, and more. 

They are not only well-known on Kean’s campus. In fact, the Gospel Choir has been featured on Fox 5’s Good Day Street Talk, which aired in April of 2016. Additionally, they recently collaborated with Sons of Serendip, who are known most often from America’s Got Talent.

The choir’s main goal is to allow people to express their faith through gospel music in an accepting environment. They strive to create a greater understanding and appreciation of gospel music among college students. 

The Kean Gospel is always looking for new, ambitious members to add to their group. They are all about sharing their faith in a fun environment; therefore if there are any prospective members, the choir meets on Mondays at the Greek Lounge in the Miron Student Center (MSC) and Thursdays in Wilkins Theater, Room 141 from 8 to 10 p.m. Additionally, one can contact them at gospel@kean.edu.

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.