On Tuesday, May 1 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. on the Miron Student Center (MSC) Patio, or in the Center for Academic Success (CAS) Lobby if it rains, Student Organization will be hosting an event called Rebuilding Warriors Raffle Drawing. It is taking place to gift two student veterans with their own service dogs.
Student Organization understands the importance of supporting and providing its students with the right tools to succeed here and beyond.
"The Office of Student Government has partnered with Rebuilding Warriors, a nonprofit organization dedicated to saving veterans by providing them with service dogs. Over the course of the academic year, Student Government has fundraising to present a Kean University student-veteran with a highly trained and socialized service/companion dog. If you were honorably discharged and are being seen by Veterans Administration for deployment related issues, you may be eligible for a service dog," a statement released by Student Government.
Service dogs are very important for veterans because they help alleviate post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, social anxiety, substance abuse and many other issues. When service dogs are active in a veteran's life, they create a bond where the veteran relies on the dog for assistance, and the dog protects and provides for its owner.
Common mental illnesses within veterans are as follows:
- PTSD - an anxiety disorder that can occur after the veteran experiences a traumatic event. During this type of event, the veteran may believe that their life or the people around them are in jeopardy.
- Depression - a common problem that can occur following trauma or PTSD. It can involve feelings of sadness, low moods, lack of energy and can affect the everyday functions of a person's life. Tasks like eating, sleeping and thinking can be affected.
- Social anxiety - a chronic mental health condition in which social interactions cause irrational anxiety.
The lucky students with the winning raffle tickets will be picked Tuesday, May 1 at 3:30 p.m. at the MSC Patio, where the winner does not need to be present at the raffle drawing to win. Raffle tickets are on sale for $5 in the MSC Rooms 304 and 309 and Hutchinson Hall J-130.
The prizes included are:
- $1,500 Visa Gift Card for first place
- $1,000 Visa Gift Card for second place
- $500 Visa Gift Card for third place
Francisco Reyes, the vice president and future president of Student Organization spoke of the importance of this event by noting that it rewards two students who put their life on the line for this country.
"Anyone who has the courage to do that deserves this kind of thing," said Reyes. "I believe that service dogs will help them with physical disabilities or struggles they are dealing with in regards to PTSD. They are also there for emotional support and just there as a friend, which I feel a lot of veterans need sometimes."
Reyes wants students to expect a great event and a great project for an exceptional cause that they put together.
"It's something amazing to be a part of. It's not often you see people coming together for an effort like this. It's a beautiful thing to do and an even more beautiful thing to witness in person," said Reyes.
So buy your ticket today and support the cause!