Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Highlighting the events and activities hosted by the school throughout October

Campus News > Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Kean students posed for a photo opportunity at last year's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk.

Zoe Strozewski, Staff Writer

Since 1985, the United States has recognized October as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. In honor of this designation, Kean will be holding various events throughout the month in order to raise awareness of the disease and funds for finding a cure.

The Breast Cancer Awareness Month Kickoff, hosted by the Center for Leadership and Service (CLS), is taking place in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Atrium Monday, Oct. 1 from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. This event will feature various games where students can win prizes and make donations. The kickoff will also give students the chance to register for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, purchase “Kean Blue Thinks Pink” t-shirts and hoodies (proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society), make a contribution to a poster about who each student is walking for, and learn how to conduct a breast exam on themselves.

CLS will also be holding several Breast Cancer Bake-Offs. These bake-offs allow teams of students to compete against each other to craft the best treats and raise the most money in preparation for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk. 

Every bake-off will take place in the MSC Atrium at 10 a.m. The dates of all the Breast Cancer Bake-Offs are as follows:

• Wednesday, Oct. 3
  • Thursday, Oct. 4
  • Tuesday Oct. 9
  • Wednesday, Oct. 10
  • Friday, Oct. 12
  • Wednesday, Oct. 17
  • Thursday, Oct. 18

This year’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk will occur Sunday, Oct. 21 at Johnson Park in Piscataway, New Jersey. All students, employees, alumni and guests are welcome to dress in pink and join together in this culmination of the month’s efforts. Registration for the walk can be completed on Cougar Link for students and the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Walk website for any non-students.

The Sigma Beta Chi sorority is also conducting some fundraising efforts of their own in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. They will be hosting a event called “Kiss Away Cancer” in the MSC Atrium from 3 to 4:15 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 11. Students will be able to choose from a variety of lipstick colors that represent different types of cancer, and then apply the lipstick and kiss a poster inscribed with the name of the event. Anyone who wishes to kiss the poster must make a donation, but the size of that donation is completely up to the participant.

Anyone who is unable to attend any of these events but still wishes to make a difference this month should visit Kean’s team page on the American Cancer Society website. This page allows students to join Kean’s Making Strides team and donate to the cause for the duration of October. 

The “Kean Blue Thinks Pink” apparel will also be on sale for the whole month from CLS in MSC, Room 219.

For more information on any of these events, student can visit the pages for each host organization on Cougar Link.

Zoe Strozewski - Web

Zoe Strozewski, Staff Writer
strozewz@kean.edu 

Zoe Strozewski is a sophomore majoring in communications with a focus on journalism. She joined The Cougar's Byte as a staff writer in February 2018.  In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, listening to music and playing for Kean's women's volleyball team.  In the future, she hopes to spend her days reporting on politics, music, and social issues as a writer for The New Yorker or Rolling Stone