Greek Life at Kean University

An overview of what Greek life has to offer Kean students

Essentials > Greek Life at Kean University
Greek Life at Kean University

At Kean University, Greek life is dedicated to building and supporting its members.

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor

Entering the college scene can seem intimidating with all of the options that are offered, but don't fret. Here is a quick overview of the clubs and organizations offered at Kean University. 

Kean offers organizations ranging in the following different categories:  academic programs, cultural organizations, funded groups, governmental organizations, honor societies, non-funded groups, performance organizations, professional organizations, recreational organizations, religious organizations, service organizations, special interest groups, student government and Greek organizations. 

If one is interested in being part of a family atmosphere while developing important life skills, Greek life is the way to go. The Greek Senate consists of more than 10 eboard members alongside adviser Alex Louis to ensure that the ideals of Greek life at Kean are met and achieved. 

With the mission to empower members of Greek letter organizations, the Greek senate strives to promote and preserve the essence of scholarships, service, leadership, campus involvement and brother/sisterhood.

Fraternities and sororities can also offer a rich and rewarding experience for those who choose to affiliate. In general, Greek letter organizations provide the following:

• Strengthening of Leadership Skills
  • Development of Interpersonal Skills
  • Assistance in Orientation to College Life
  • Teaching Cooperation and Citizenship
  • Encouraging Scholarship
  • Promoting Community Service Work

Greek letter organizations also provide a plethora of tools to build intellectual achievement, awareness of social responsibility, social and personal development and respect for human diversity. They understand that personal development can build a student and give them a sense of identity that they will carry onto their next endeavor. 

There are over 33 Greek organizations that were created to meet the needs of various prospective members, such as multicultural organizations, divine 9 organizations and local/national organizations.

Some multicultural organizations are the following: Chi Upsilon Sigma, Lambda Tau Omega, Lambda Upsilon Lambda, Lambda Sigma Upsilon, Mu Sigma Upsilon and Omega Phi Chi.

Some divine 9 organizations are the following: Alpha Phi Alpha, Iota Phi Theta, Phi Beta Sigma, Delta Sigma Theta and Sigma Gamma Rho.

So one may be asking how to be eligible? The criteria falls under two categories: grades and credits. Grade requirements include interested students having or maintaining a 2.5 GPA, while credit requirements include interested students having a minimum of 12 credits completed. 

Do not worry! If one is unsure about what Greek life entails, a new member orientation includes meeting eligibility requirements and policies. There will also be interest meetings that provide prospective members more extensive information.

Melissa Antonio, Greek life specialist at the Center for Leadership and Service (CLS) finds that Greek life can start as a stepping stone for students to develop through their college career.

"In the case that a student finds interest in one of these organizations, they have found one way to become a highly involved student on campus for the rest of their college career." 

For more information about Greek life, one can contact the Assistant Director for Greek Affairs Alex Louis, call (908) 737-5176 or walk in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Room 219.

Petruce Jean Charles - Web

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor
jeanchap@kean.edu

Petruce Jean-Charles is a senior majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. In Spring 2017 she joined The Cougar's Byte staff. She is goal-driven and dedicated to accomplishing her goals, where she wishes to work for successful companies like Huffington Post or The Washington Post. In her free time, she enjoys listening to different artists and watching new horror and thriller movies.