The Involvement Games 2018

The Involvement Games is set to be a blast for student groups and students alike

Campus News > The Involvement Games 2018
The Involvement Games 2018
Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor

With the beginning of a new school year, the Involvement Center located in the Miron Student Center (MSC), Room 303 will be hosting The Involvement Games. The Involvement Games will start on Wednesday, Sept. 19 and continue through Friday, Sept. 28.

Bria Williams, senior involvement specialist for programming and outreach, wanted students and student groups to understand the importance and impact The Involvement Games has for its participants.

"The 2nd annual Involvement Games is mostly geared toward student groups although any student can participate. During the involvement games, students from the groups compete individually or as a team against other student groups to garner points. At the end of involvement games, all their points are totaled up and the top three scores will receive prizes," said Williams.  

Students will be able to partake in various games provided through the Involvement Center. It should be noted that each game will be located around different areas on campus to expand the involvement of the students. 

These are the following games that will take place:

• Beach Volleyball Tournament: If you are a student with a knack for volleyball, come down to the volleyball sand court on Wednesday, Sept. 19 for a beach volleyball tournament! There will be eight matches taking place at 1 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 3 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 4 p.m., and 4:30 p.m. Finals will take place Wednesday, Sept. 26. at 1 p.m. Student group teams or other teams can register to play with at least eight groups to make a tournament. This game will be a chance to earn bragging rights or to sit on the sidelines and cheer for one's favored teams.  
  • Adventure Course: On Thursday, Sept. 20 from noon to 6 p.m. at Cougar Green, students will have the opportunity to attempt an obstacle course and beat the Cougar's time. The obstacle course is broken into six sections including tasks such as balloon crawl, agility ladder, nose balance, jump rope, weighted walk, soccer shuffle, push-ups, newspaper walk, the web and a potato sack. In order to elevate through the leader board, all participants must complete the entire course without cheating. Dropping and missing can allot a time penalty of 20 seconds or force the contender to start over from the last completed section.
  • Minute to Win It: On Wednesday, Sept. 26 from 3:15 to 4:30 p.m. on the MSC Patio, students will be sent on a series of challenging tasks that will increase in difficulty each round. As the title suggests, students will have one minute to win it. Winning each task can count toward the total Involvement Games score. Each group must choose three to five members to participate in each of the activities. The competitions include planks, junk in the trunk, moving on up, separation anxiety, hanky panky, a bit dicey, stick the landing, nose dive, rapid fire, hoop the loop, the blows and noodling around. There is also a 2-on-2 option that will include the games sticky situation and defying gravity. 
  • Deal Or No Deal: This will take place on Tuesday, Sept. 25 at 11 a.m. in the MSC, Room 303. Like the game show on television, a member from an organization will choose each briefcase in hopes to beat the odds and earn points for their total score.
  • Arcade Day: Calling all students interested in classic video games such as Donkey Kong, Pong, Pac Man, Space Invaders, classic Sonic, Tetris and Asteroids! On Thursday, Sept. 27 in MSC, Room 303, starting at 11 a.m. and continuing throughout the day, students will have the chance to compete in various games to show their skills.
  • Service Project: Looking for more community service opportunities? On Friday, Sept. 28 at the Kennedy Reservation near campus, a service project consisting of picking up litter will take place. 

For more information students can walk in to the MSC, Room 303, email Jonathan Lopez, coordinator of Student Involvement, ljonatha@kean.edu or call (909) 737-5270.

Petruce Jean Charles - Web

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor
jeanchap@kean.edu

Petruce Jean-Charles is a senior majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. In Spring 2017 she joined The Cougar's Byte staff. She is goal-driven and dedicated to accomplishing her goals, where she wishes to work for successful companies like Huffington Post or The Washington Post. In her free time, she enjoys listening to different artists and watching new horror and thriller movies.