Transitioning to Kean

How students can develop the knowledge to succeed at Kean University

Essentials > Transitioning to Kean
Transitioning to Kean

T2K is the outlet that first year students need to become comfortable and involved in the Kean community.

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor

Starting a new chapter can be a terrifying yet rewarding experience. It is terrifying because one has to leave behind the habits and knowledge of high school and apply it to college. Transitioning to a college setting can be rewarding because it allows the individual the opportunity to explore new horizons. 

Kean University is considerably adamant about creating a comfortable and beneficial experience for freshmen and transfer students. With that being said, the University offers Transition to Kean (T2K) as an outlet for active citizenship and diversity. 

T2K is designed to:

• Provide motivation for students setting goals
  • Identify the weaknesses and strengths within the student
  • Improving the students learning skills
  • Build time management and studying habits
  • Meeting other students and building influential relationships

Aside from the benefits that students attending these classes can receive, students also have the ability to become general education mentors (GEMs). GEMs are upper-class students selected to assist first year students with their social and academic skills within Kean University. 

GEMs help first year students by:

• Providing placement test events
  • Registration days
  • New student orientation
  • Provide one-on-one peer training 

By becoming a part of T2K, students will be able to use what they have learned to develop further in the upper-class endeavors. 

So take advantage of T2K by contacting the Office of General Studies, located in Room 201 of the Center for Academic Success (CAS). Students can also call at (908) 737-0330 or emailing t2k@kean.edu.

Petruce Jean Charles - Web

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor
jeanchap@kean.edu

Petruce Jean-Charles is a senior majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. In Spring 2017 she joined The Cougar's Byte staff. She is goal-driven and dedicated to accomplishing her goals, where she wishes to work for successful companies like Huffington Post or The Washington Post. In her free time, she enjoys listening to different artists and watching new horror and thriller movies.