Find Out More About Wenzhou-Kean University!

Spending a semester or full year in China offers ample opportunity for cultural and academic growth

Campus News > Find Out More About Wenzhou-Kean University!

Kean is the only public university in the United States to offer a fully public and operational campus in China, Wenzhou-Kean University.

Kieffer Braisted, Staff Writer

Kean University is the only public university in the entire country to offer a fully operational campus in China: Wenzhou-Kean University.

Aiming to help advance the growing demand for a Western-style education in China, Wenzhou-Kean University helps unite Chinese students, Kean students and students from other countries and schools alike. In a modern, state-of-the-art environment, Wenzhou-Kean University fuses elements from both American and Chinese style educational practices.

The fully English-speaking, 500-acre campus offers stunning views of the Chuitai Mountains and close proximity to the sprawling urban metropolis and economic powerhouse of downtown Wenzhou, located in China's Zhejiang Province.

To meet the aforementioned ever-growing popularity and necessity of a Western-style education in China, the campus has seen a steady period of infrastructural growth to help accommodate the rising application rate.

WKU Academic Building.jpg

Additionally, Wenzhou-Kean University offers a seamless transition for Kean students of sophomore status and above looking to attend the school by offering the same rate of tuition as it would in either Union or Toms River campuses. 

Interested students must meet the minimum 2.8 GPA requirement and be a sophomore or above. Scholarships are also available through the Sobel Global Wenzhou Scholarship Program.

Those receiving financial aid, FAFSA or loans can also use these funds to study at Wenzhou-Kean University.

The ease of transition and equal cost has made the campus a hot-spot for those looking for a longer-term experience studying abroad here on Kean's main campus.

Wenzhou-Kean University was officially signed into existence at Kean University's home campus in Union on May 8, 2006, as part of a province-state friendship project between the Zhejiang Province and New Jersey. It is viewed as a crucial step toward education reform by the Ministry of Education.

Understanding the intricate fusion of traditional Chinese and more modern Americanized principles from an educational and economic standpoint, Wenzhou-Kean University's motto builds upon Kean's "world-class education" staple that its students and staff know so well. 

Dedicating themselves to the principle of providing students with different ways of development through educational resources, critical missions (such as community service/involvement) and advanced patterns adopted from some of the most prestigious educational institutions in the United States, Wenzhou-Kean University strives to give its students the best possible opportunity for a quality education and personal growth.

WKU Academic Building Pt. 2.jpg

In its first freshman cohort in 2012, Wenzhou-Kean University welcomed 204 freshmen from three major concentrations as full-time students involved in the "Sino-US Cooperative Kean Project". 

In May of 2016, 187 students of the aforementioned first cohort graduated in the first graduation held at the institution, as the Inaugural Commencement was proudly held.

As of 2018, the campus now has close to 2,200 full-time students hailing from China, United States, Macao, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia and more.

Of those attending, there are currently four colleges on campus, with plans on adding additional majors and minors in the future. Those four colleges are as follows: 

• College of Liberal Arts
  • College of Architecture & Design
  • College of Science and Technology
  • College of Business & Public Management

There are additional educational resources on-campus for those attending. Those facilities include an English Language Center, Chinese Curricula Center, various laboratories and an assessment and educational office center.

As for extracurricular activities and opportunities, there are numerous options available including various events, clubs, academic groups and athletic groups open to anybody interested within the on-campus community.

Lounges, eateries, bookstores and game rooms dot the campus. There are four dorms as well on campus: 

• Plum Hall
  • Orchid Hall
  • Bamboo Hall
  • Chrysanthemum Hall

WKU.jpg

In each hall, there is a choice of four additional room setups. Options include rooms with four high beds, rooms with twin high beds, rooms with twin low beds (and a balcony!) and rooms with a single low bed.

Other information regarding housing and residence life can be accessed from Wenzhou-Kean University's official webpage.

At Kean University, the goal is to provide a world-class education for all of its students. By being the only public school in the United States to offer a full campus in China, Kean delivers on that goal.

Any additional questions, inquiries or concerns can be fielded by the International Education Office online, by email at cis@kean.edu, by phone at (908) 737-0320 or in person Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Center of Academic Success (CAS) Room 201.

Wenzhou-Kean University's official English webpage can also be accessed for more questions.

Kieffer Braisted - Web

Kieffer Braisted, Staff Writer
braistki@kean.edu 

Kieffer Braisted is a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte. He joined the staff in March 2018.