Giving A Hand To The Homeless

Warm Hands for the Homeless provided care packages for children and adults on Friday, Nov. 16

Campus Life > Giving A Hand To The Homeless
Giving A Hand To The Homeless

Warm Hands for Homeless was an event that showcased how a group of people can come together to make a difference for those in need.

Student Government hosted Warm Hands for the Homeless, an event that emphasized the importance of individuals having basic needs met from hygiene to nourishment, Friday, Nov. 16. 

Before entering the event students were required to show their Cougar Link Event Pass to enter. Students were also given a name tag with the table and color indicating their seat. Upon entering the event, students could be seen interacting with each other in preparation for the activities to come.

Students were seated based on a layout of 10 tables with six to eight people per table. Each table was responsible for making 40 bags for men, women and children.

On a table, supplies were placed and organized by bags, colors and whether or not the person was a male, female or child. 

WHFH01

The children's bags were purple and would contain:

• Backpacks
  • Socks
  • Blanket
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Dental kit
  • First aid kit
  • Hand warmers
  • Water bottle
  • Coloring books
  • Cougar toy
  • Chocolate chip cookies

The female bag was red, with the male bag being blue and both would contain:

• Duffle bags
  • Socks
  • Blanket
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Dental kit
  • First aid kit
  • Hand warmers
  • Water bottle
  • Slim Jim
  • Oatmeal cookies
  • Breakfast bar

Kevhorn Anderson, the vice president of Funded Groups and senior studying information technology with a minor in cyber security, was one of the students involved and in charge of the event and its progress. Anderson opened the event by introducing himself and the various organizations like Funded Groups, Student Organization Programming Board, Office of Student Government staff and Graduate and Part-Time Student Council.

"It is cool to see an event like this come to life. The idea of this event is to network and to get to know everyone, while making sure that all packages find their way to a suitable person," said Anderson.

Following that message, Anderson introduced Managing Assistant Director Carli Hench as she spoke about the benefits this event would bring for those in need.

"The goal is to know each other and have fun, so I think this is an opportunity to do something nice while interacting with each other," said Hench.

They then explained the activities that were to come for the students, to which students positively responded back.

The first game was the "A to Z Game." The purpose of the game was to tell a story in alphabetical order, and the winner would be rewarded with a blanket. Students were then tested on their ability to expose themselves while also staying in order. For example, the game could go as follows, "Anacondas are one of my biggest fears. Be careful of those snakes, my friend almost got bit by one." Toward the end of the game, students could be seen becoming closer friends and learning about each other. 

Before the next game, the teams were asked to develop a team name, then go around the room and have them shout out their team.

The next game called "Name that Tune" required one representative of the group to walk to the front of the room where they hummed a song to the audience. The teammates guessed the song as the person hummed for 15 seconds. If the song was not guessed, the person would have to hum another song so they could get the next reward: a water bottle.

Songs hummed included: 

• "Hotline Bling"
  • "Jingle Bells" 
  • "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"

Moreover, Hench and Anderson presented the third activity "Seeking without Seeing" where four obstacles were created around the room. The game started with the first person in line being blindfolded and guided by the teammate behind them. It was a team effort to retrieve the items (paper) on the floor. Once each teammate was blindfolded and redeemed each paper they were able to claim the next reward: being ranked the first to complete the course.

WHFH02

Then, the team could begin working on their next and final activity known as "Warm Hands from Kean Hearts" where the students could write messages, draw images and place supplies in the bags for the recipients of the bags.

Each table was given markers and note cards to write a note to each participants. Following this activity, students were then situated with their food and discussed how the event was meaningful and successful.

Events like this one are always being developed, so students interested in being a part of an important and rewarding cause can visit Cougar Link events and volunteering opportunities.