Lend A Helping Hand

Helping Younger Hands, a new organization at Kean, is focused on spreading awareness and educating others on important issues that impact not only children, but everyone alike.

Features > Lend A Helping Hand
Lend A Helping Hand

Helping Younger Hands is an organization centered on helping the youth.

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

Helping Younger Hands is a new organization at Kean University that is centered around raising awareness and educating students on disabilities, disorders and abuse, especially as they pertain to children. This organization believes in helping those who may not have the resources or ability to help themselves. 

This organization is focused on opening the eyes of students and helping them realize the struggles that not only children, but people in general have to face. The members are dedicated to assisting those in need in any way possible. 

Each year, Helping Younger Hands chooses an organization or charity to raise money and awareness for them throughout the year. This year, they chose to raise money for Kean Dance Marathon, which supports the Children's Specialized Hospital in Mountainside, NJ. 

Helping Younger Hands

Members of Helping Younger Hands participating in card writing to send to the Children's Specialized Hospital.

They are not just helping the Children's Specialized Hospital in monetary ways; however, they show the children that they care. At their first general body meeting this year, members wrote cards that were sent to the hospital for the children to read. Simple actions like this can make one's day, and Helping Younger Hands realizes this. 

Organizations such as Helping Younger Hands shows the Kean community the importance of helping those who cannot help themselves, or are less fortunate and do not have the resources. 

President Breanna Hernandez said, "Our organization offers a voice for children that they never had on campus before. We offer a helping hand for those children and we get their stories heard."

She continued, “My organization means everything to me. My whole life I've been an advocate for children, those with disabilities more specifically. Knowing that I can offer them help, financially and emotionally makes me feel like my dream is slowly coming true."

The members of Helping Younger Hands feel proud of the organization that they have created because it allows them to give a voice to people who feel they do not have one. 

Director of Public Relations Adelina Iscoa said, "I decided to join Helping Younger Hands because I wanted to make an impact on the lives of others. I actively volunteer here at Kean because giving back to the community is such a rewarding feeling, which is why I felt like Helping Younger Hands was the organization for me."

She continued, "Being a part of this organization has also taught me about mental illnesses and disorders that I had no knowledge of, which is one of our goals as an organization. This organization has opened my eyes to all the ways that we can help others in the smallest ways possible and how much of an impact it makes on the lives of others."

Helping Younger Hands is very active on the Kean University campus as they hold many events. They have an event coming up called Know Your Ribbon on Nov. 12 at 7:30 p.m. in Miron Student Center (MSC), Room 315. At this event, students will participate in decorating their own awareness ribbon to express what is important or impacts them. 

Helping Younger Hands always welcomes new members and encourages everyone to come to their events. If one is interested, make sure to visit their Cougar Link page. 

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.