Your Ultimate Study Buddy

Kean's Tutor's Club is here to help

Features > Your Ultimate Study Buddy
Your Ultimate Study Buddy

Tutor's Club collaborated with Tri-Beta Biological Honor Society to host their Halloween themed general body meeting.

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

Asking for academic help can sometimes be intimidating to students. Fortunately, Kean students can find solace in students just like them at Kean University's Tutor's Club which can help with their specific needs. 

Since 2014, Kean's Tutor's Club has continued to help students striving for success to meet their academic and professional goals by facilitating relationships between students and professional staff.

For the fall 2018 semester, Tutor's Club is led by President Michelle Saavedra, Vice President and Treasurer Taylor Martinez, Secretary Daryll Adrian Henson, Director of Public Relations Jennifer Garza and Adviser Jacqueline Langley. 

The group was first established by tutors from the Tutoring Center with the intention of helping students at Kean further develop their study skills and learn new ways to approach typically challenging classes. The Tutor's Club deals with a variety of classes and is not limited to any specific subject. Students of every major, year and GPA are encouraged to come and need not be a tutor to join in the meetings.  

Saavedra comments, “I would like the Kean student body to know that the Tutor's Club is an environment where anyone can feel comfortable and ask for help academically without any judgement. The executive board and our tutors at the Nancy Thompson Library are always open to help students all over campus. We can help improve one's study habits and [offer tactics on] how to tackle a rigorous subject. We hope we can encourage Kean's student body to join the Tutor's Club!” 

The Tutor's Club has meetings every other Tuesday in the Center for Academic Success (CAS) Room 205. Although Tutor's Club is academically centered, general body meetings also incorporate fun activities to help stressed students. 

For instance, Tutor's Club's first meeting of fall 2018 was an ice cream social. In their Halloween meeting, members were able to decorate cupcakes and pumpkins as they discussed midterm stress and preparation. 

For their last general body meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 4, Tutor's Club also intends to have a bath bomb DIY activity as they hold their elections for executive board positions for the spring 2019 semester. Tutor's Club also has an upcoming Career Workshop Thursday, Nov. 29 in CAS Room 106 which will be led by Career Services representative, Blanca Rosales-Ahn. 

To join, students can come to any of the events Tutor's Club has posted on their Cougar Link page or come to their biweekly general body meetings on Tuesdays in CAS 205 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. For questions, students can email a Tutor's Club representative at tutors@kean.edu.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.