Jenna Patrone in a League of Her Own

Patrone earns her place as a NHFCA All-American Athlete, South Atlantic All-Region first team and NJAC Player of the Week

Features > Jenna Patrone in a League of Her Own
Jenna Patrone in a League of Her Own

Patrone's exceptional performance during the week of Oct. 29 earned her the title of New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) Player of the Week. 

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

As a crucial member of the field hockey team, Jenna Patrone had a very successful season this fall, ending the season with 28 points, 98 shots, seven saves and 12 goals, which included six game-winning goals. Her exceptional performance during the week of Oct. 29 earned her the title of New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) Player of the Week. Moreover, Patrone was accepted into the Longstreth/National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) Division III South Atlantic All-Region first team as well as the NHFCA Division III All-American third team.

The love for field hockey runs through Patrone's blood, as she joins her mother and sisters as a field hockey athlete. She typically plays midfield, center or right midfield. 

When she is not crushing it on the field, Patrone is dedicated to maintaining her grades as a junior psychology major. 

"It’s a very difficult and time-consuming task, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. Being a student-athlete at Kean means so much, and I’m so proud to be a part of that group of people," said Patrone.  

For the season, the field hockey team finished with a 9-10 record, which Patrone finds to inadequately represent the heart and grit they played with throughout the entire season. 

"I think our record didn’t accurately depict our skill level or how hard we worked, but that’s just how it goes sometimes. [I'll make] sure to push the girls harder than usual this off-season so that next season there will not be a single thing standing between us and being victorious. We’re learning from our mistakes and I’m so excited to see what we make of the life lessons we learned this season come August," said Patrone.

Patrone's favorite games for the season were the games against the University of Lynchburg and the State University of New York (SUNY) at New Paltz. The match against the University of Lynchburg was a highly anticipated game since their last match the previous year. 

"The game wasn’t just about win or lose. It was personal and something we’d been talking about since we played them the year before, so it felt great to come away with a [win]," explained Patrone. 

The game against SUNY at New Paltz was a memorable game because Patrone and her team had worked extremely hard in preparation for the match. Their hard work ultimately paid off as they earned a win.  

"I wouldn’t love playing every day, dealing with the sore muscles, the lack of sleep and the long bus rides if it wasn’t for my team. I’ve never met a more amazing group of young ladies and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. On the field we didn’t do as great as we had hoped, but off the field I had the most fun I have ever had while being a student-athlete here at Kean. I love each and every one of them so dearly. I can’t wait to thrive on and off the field with them next season!"   

In addition to her responsibilities as a student-athlete, Patrone is also involved with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) on campus and volunteers with her family to feed the homeless whenever she can.  

Patrone aspires to be either a high school guidance counselor or a drug and alcohol family therapist after college. Regardless of what she chooses, Patrone will be remembered as a stellar student-athlete here at Kean.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.