Kean University prides itself on having an ample amount of eateries for its community to choose from. From healthy options to guilty pleasures or a quick snack to full-course meals, Kean has dining options that are sure to please one's appetite.
The Miron Student Center (MSC) is home to many eateries on-campus. A list of the on-campus eateries in MSC is as follows:
- Auntie Anne's: Known for its assortment of pretzels and drinks, this is the perfect snack to grab in-between classes! Their hours are Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. - 8 pm. and Friday 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Smashburger: If one is looking for their fast food fix look no further! Smashburger is known for its array of quick service food but are most famous for their burgers and fries. They are open Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. and Friday 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Outtakes: This is a convenience store that is easily accessible to students on campus. They have supplies from snacks, drink and take-away food to cleaning supplies, toiletries and school supplies. Their hours of operation are Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 11 p.m., Friday 7:30 a.m. - 9:30 pm., Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 9 p.m., and Sunday 1 - 8 p.m.
- The Cougar's Den: A location exclusive to Kean University is a quick service restaurant. The dining room is adorned with televisions, usually featuring the newest sports game. They have an assortment of items including but not limited to sandwiches, salads, pizza, pasta and smoothies.
- Jersey Mike's Subs: The famous sandwich shop is also located right here at Kean University. Their hours of operation are Monday through Friday 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- The Miron Student Center (MSC) Cafeteria: Here is an array of different food options for students to choose from in a central location in campus. One can choose from the Pasta Station, Tex Mex cuisine like Sono, Brick Oven Pizza, Entree Buffet, Salad Bar, Grill, Grab & Go, Breakfast & Bakery, Noodle Bar & Hot Sandwich Shoppe and Deli Delicious.The hours for the MSC are Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. and Friday 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.
If one needs to grab a cup of coffee on the go, consider the several Starbucks locations on campus. The main restaurant is located in the Nancy Thompson Library. This location is open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. - 10 p.m., Friday through Saturday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Sunday 1 - 8 p.m. This is also a prime location for students to study as well.
The second Starbucks location is a kiosk on the third floor of the Center for Academic Success (CAS) and its hours of operation are Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. The third location is in the Green Lane Academic Building (GLAB) Barnes & Noble Cafe. Their hours of operation are Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
If one is in the North Avenue Academic Building (NAAB), be sure to stop by Au Bon Pain. They specialize in soups, sandwiches and salads. They are a fast casual restaurant, which means it is perfect to grab in-between classes! Their hours are Monday through Friday 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
If one finds themselves in the Science, Technology and Mathematics (STEM) Building, do not worry as there are several eateries there as well. Firstly, there is the STEM kiosk, which is ideal for grabbing items on the go. Its hours are Monday through Friday 10 a.m - 3 p.m. If one is looking for a more lavish meal, consider Ursino Steakhouse and Tavern. This is a sit down restaurant that is located in the STEM Building. Their hours of operation are Tuesday through Thursday 11:30 a.m. - 10 p.m., Friday through Saturday 11:30 a.m. - 11 p.m., and Sunday noon - 9 p.m. It should also be noted that the steakhouse is closed for dinner on Tuesdays.
When on East Campus, don't forget to stop by the Northside Cafe. They have a wide variety of food and beverages for students to grab and go in between classes. Their hours are Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 9 p.m., Friday 7 a.m. - 5 p.m., and Saturday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
If one has a meal plan, the Residence Hall Cafe is where meal swipes can primarily be used. There is an assortment of food options, including different entrees for every meal.
Additionally, there are stations that are always there. Permanent stations in the Residence Hall Cafe include a salad bar, cereal station, waffle station, burgers, chicken fingers, fries and more. The hours for the Cafe are Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 11:00 p.m., Friday 7:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m., Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m and Sunday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
There are several meal plan options for students to choose from to best fit their needs. The meal plan options are as follows:
- Unlimited Meal Plan (MK-100): First semester freshman are required to have this plan which includes unlimited meal swipes, $100 Cougar Dollars and $100 Cougar Cash per semester.
- Block Meal Plan (KB-96): This plan is intended for students that do not anticipate using as many meal swipes, rather they prefer to use Cougar Dollars and Cougar Cash. It includes 96 meal swipes, $200 Cougar Dollars and $100 Cougar Cash per semester.
- Declining Balance Plan: Juniors and seniors are the only students that may utilize this plan. It includes $1000 Cougar Dollars and $500 Cougar Cash per semester for students to use at all of the eateries on and off campus.
For those who may be confused on the difference between the Kean currencies, one can learn more about Kean Bucks and Cougar Cash through previous articles.
So make sure to check it out and read more about it.